Stihl 180C - I have a problem

Native Hunter

I've had this saw about a year and was really happy with it at first. The no-tool chain tightening feature and easy start was nice. I still love the easy start but the chain tightening mechanism is starting to give me problems. You can get the chain really tight, but it won't stay tight. After two or three minutes of sawing, the chain will get extremely loose.

Some of you are probably thinking that the problem is the little chain. That is not the case, because my 170 has the little chain, but has the old fashioned tightening mechanism. I have no problem with the chain getting loose on the 170. The problem is the new chain tightening system like the 180C has.

I talked with the dealer about this. He can replace the new system with the traditional system like the 170 has. He wanted $50 to do it. I left the saw with him Saturday and told him to do it. I think this will fix the problem and will report back later.

I'm making this post, because in the last year I have told several of you that I like the 180C. I just want you to know about the problem that has recently surfaced. I will likely call Stihl later and see if I can get my $50 back, but I doubt that will happen.

ba1i92Kh.jpg

My buddy did the same thing against my advice with that same purchase. He's is a PIA compared to mine that isn't all that big deal to keep tight. I started to tell you that it would be a regret when you posted that saw originally but thot they might have a fix. You might want to ck with stilh as they are good about making fixes such as the sucky gas and oil caps that were on my saw when first purchased. Replaced for free.

I'd ask the dealer again. Tell him that it would make them look really good on an online forum if Stihl would take responsibility for replacing a poorly designed part with a good one. Otherwise you will just have to tell us that they don't care about the quality of their products or about their customers.

My old husky had the tool free tightener when I upgraded to my Stihl 210 I went back to the wrench. I was having the same loose chain issues you are describing.

Hmmmm, I have tool free adjustments on my Green Works electric saw. I hope I don't have the same problem in the future.

I have a 180C that I bought used and beat up from Craigslist for $100 about 10 years ago. Love that saw. The no tool tightening hasn't given me a minutes problem....are you tightening the main nut as tight as you dare with the plastic disc? My friend has a newer model of the 180C and he also has no problem.

When I want to tighten the chain, I use a pocket knife to get a little more tension on the chain tightening top thumbwheel than I can with my thumb. After I get it at the tension I want, I lift up the bar a little with my left hand while I turn the big wheel main nut with my right. If you don't hold up on the bar, you lose a little tension.

You probably already know if it's not oiling well, it will heat up and get loose quicker.

BTW, if you ever have carb problems with a Stihl, just go on ebay and buy a new carb. 5 minutes later you will have replaced it and not spent $100 at a repair shop. I get lots of used and new Stilh parts off ebay for my various Stihl machines. Wouldn't have any other brand.

I have a 180C that I bought used and beat up from Craigslist for $100 about 10 years ago. Love that saw. The no tool tightening hasn't given me a minutes problem....are you tightening the main nut as tight as you dare with the plastic disc? My friend has a newer model of the 180C and he also has no problem.

When I want to tighten the chain, I use a pocket knife to get a little more tension on the chain tightening top thumbwheel than I can with my thumb. After I get it at the tension I want, I lift up the bar a little with my left hand while I turn the big wheel main nut with my right. If you don't hold up on the bar, you lose a little tension.

You probably already know if it's not oiling well, it will heat up and get loose quicker.

BTW, if you ever have carb problems with a Stihl, just go on ebay and buy a new carb. 5 minutes later you will have replaced it and not spent $100 at a repair shop. I get lots of used and new Stilh parts off ebay for my various Stihl machines. Wouldn't have any other brand.

I'm doing all those things you said. That includes using a knife on the thumbwheel, lifting the bar and turning the big wheel so tight that it looks like the plastic could break. After doing that, I can saw for 2 minutes and the chain is so loose that it flies off the bar.

The oiler is working properly as well.

I only posted this because I had been asked on this forum a couple of times how I liked the saw - and I gave it a good review. Since I have started having problems (and my father is having the same problem with his 180C) I felt the fair thing for me to do is to now give an updated report since things have changed.

Congratulation to you on having a saw that hasn't caused you any problems. But, bottom line is that I got a lemon.

Lemons are a way of life. A company I once worked for bought two identical vehicles at the same time from the same car dealership. One of them got close to 30 MPG and the other one would never get over 19 MPG. They had it in the shop a dozen times and were never able to figure out what was going on and never able to fix it.

At least my problem can be fixed for $50. I'm a happy camper..........and wish all things in life were that simple and that easily fixed.

Ya'll got two lemons in one family; what are the odds? I'd go buy a lottery ticket!

I think I have your luck with trailers and wheel bearings.

Problem was solved with the $50 fix. I sawed 9 hours at my new creek bluff property today cutting shooting lanes, and there were no issues at all. If you add everything together I probably cut a swath 900 feet long and 20 feet wide.

So does that girly adjuster just pop off and adapter go on? I'll have tell my buddy. Do you still get the screwdriver micro adjuster with fix?

So does that girly adjuster just pop off and adapter go on? I'll have tell my buddy. Do you still get the screwdriver micro adjuster with fix?

Yes, the Girly Boy adjuster is completely gone. You get a new face plate with the two nuts and the screw adjustment. The fix basically makes that side of the saw and the internal adjustment identical to a 170.

PS: I had everything I own out today except for the old blue Homelite, but basically did nearly all my sawing with the altered 180C. Dogghr, you are going to love this new property. I will be starting a new habitat thread on it soon.

V0mZaz7h.jpg

HzsitFjh.jpg

YGuz41Gh.jpg

EaQL4HSh.jpg

Yea looks awesome and I can hear the wheels turning in your head on what you want to accomplish on that new land. I'm sure you will do it justice and I may have to make another voyage to the great state of Kentuck. Sorry about the girly comment, just couldn't resist as that is what I've been calling my buddies set up to rag him and he is an ex logger.

Yea looks awesome and I can hear the wheels turning in your head on what you want to accomplish on that new land. I'm sure you will do it justice and I may have to make another voyage to the great state of Kentuck. Sorry about the girly comment, just couldn't resist as that is what I've been calling my buddies set up to rag him and he is an ex logger.

The welcome mat is always out for you. This property is totally different from my other one. Unless I want to turn a soybean field into an orchard (which I won't do) there is no place to set fruit trees. No NWSGs and almost no sweet gums...;)

Habitat work here will be putting hours on a chainsaw more than anything else.

Native, what is that structure for ? If that's the platform for a gun blind I want to come and hunt with you ! (If you have a heater)o_O

Native, what is that structure for ? If that's the platform for a gun blind I want to come and hunt with you ! (If you have a heater)o_O

It is a hybrid gun blind / cabin that I designed:

• Three levels with a poured floor at ground level
  • 12 x 12 feet enclosed with a 4 foot deck on three sides. The other side is where the outside steps go up. But I will have a ladder on the inside on one corner where all floors can be accessed.
  • Shed roof - metal
  • All treated wood and boxed in with 3/4 inch treated plywood.
Yes, we will have heaters....:D

The weakness of this spot in entering and exiting without being detected. I'm making it to where you just live there and don't want to leave....;)

Back