Spring plots, who has planted any this year?

Still a little too early here to be planting. Wheat and clover plots doing well that were planted last fall. Will be planting soybeans in a couple of weeks, sunflowers in May, and millet in June - Aug.

Did a little mowing to knock the bolts off the brassicas that didn't die during our winter, I hope they don't come back. The plots looking good at the moment with the WW, WO, and WR. The soil is still a little cool to plant, but I am itching to do some planting.

I'm watching it by the hour. Issue here is its still too wet. 5" last week with more in forecast this week. Seed is in. safety off. Finger on the trigger waiting for right moment.

I put down a heavy does of chicory with a hunt of Jumbo II Ladino in it in a kill plot. The rain and snow I am sure have ensured good ground contact for me so now I wait....... The wheat in by bean plots (over seeded last fall) is looking real good and the clover is starting to show some signs of life as well.

Being restless, I went ahead and mowed a couple of my clover plots today. Growth was about knee high with wheat , radishes, and turnips. Mowed it tight to release the clover.Only able to do a couple of the drier fields.

Forgot to get after photos. I mowed the last 4 strips of millet and all of the bolting brassicas.
8621384aa15261cacafefb5a569901e6.jpg
783a8525d62ef429ea07fa64844ba6a0.jpg
32313f2fff9e2f47abeec906e7b83c30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too wet here with all the snow and rain. Raining hard right now. I got a new clover plot to plant but 50% of the field has standing water on it. Maybe later next week. It's my bare turnip-radish plot that I'm turning into a clover plot.

My seed is purchased, and just waiting on spring turkey season to do my spring work on the property. This spring will be busy with turkey hunts in the mornings, spring food plots, and planting the remainder oak tree seedlings and Ozark Chinquapin nuts in the afternoons. If we have time, we are going to continue our war on Black Locust trees. It is tough for me being 11.5 hours away from the property to get everything I want to get done. I'm only able to get up there 4-5 times a year on extended trips, so when there I have to make the most of the trips. Thankfully my father is able to get there about once a month to do some of the upkeep, and saves the "heavy lifting" for my trips.

I did some mowing and frost seeded clover in a few plots, but it's too cold and wet to do any serious field work, although the rye fields are starting to green up, about a 6" average height. We still have some snow around in higher elevations. Our 2018 spring in zone 6b of the mid-atlantic region is close to a month later than last year!

How did you prepare the soil/ or sow this mix, broadcast, drill etc?
I limed and fertilized and used a drag harrow behind my four wheeler. Then broadcasted the oats and drug again. I don’t have a cultipacker and just drove over the areas with the four wheeler and then broadcast the medium red clover. We’ve had decent rains since Saturday. I can’t get back over to the farm until Sunday but I’m hoping to see some germination

I have some bad spring planting fever right now... The only problem is that April showers are not bringing flowers. Currently in the middle of a 36 hour storm dropping a foot of snow. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I put off spraying my oats this year back in February because I just wasn't thinking straight. I had planned on putting corn in the ground this past weekend, but because I didn't spray it didn't disc worth a hoot. It's not the first time I've been to lazy to spray, and the last time I said I'd never forget again.
I disced it the first time about 3 weeks ago and maybe by this weekend the root mass will be broken down enough to get it smooth and plant.

I frost seeded 3 clover plots 2 weeks ago. Want to plant the old turnip-radish plot to a new clover plot. Got the seed last week and it won't stop raining. In last 10 days we had 3 days of 3" wet snow for total of 9" and today we got about 4-5" of rain and not done yet. More in the forecast for the weekend.
Need to spray the grass in the clover plots and spray a old clover plot to work up for clover-alfalfa mix. Can't even get across the creek to get to the food plots.

I frost seeded 3 clover plots 2 weeks ago. Want to plant the old turnip-radish plot to a new clover plot. Got the seed last week and it won't stop raining. In last 10 days we had 3 days of 3" wet snow for total of 9" and today we got about 4-5" of rain and not done yet. More in the forecast for the weekend.
Need to spray the grass in the clover plots and spray a old clover plot to work up for clover-alfalfa mix. Can't even get across the creek to get to the food plots.
What do you spray your clover plots with?

Back