Spray Field 40

As you make improvements to that field and it starts to provide more food and cover, your predominant wind direction is going to work in your favor. Based on your access points, you will be able to hunt the eastern, northern, and southern parts of your property with very little intrusion. I really like that tree line that cuts through the bottom portion of the field. I see you don't have a stand there so are you not seeing much activity in that area? The aerial photo appears to show trees big enough to hang a stand and looks like it would be a killer (no pun intended) spot, or at least it should be in a couple years.

I'm still new to this habitat thing but as far as recommendations...I would break that field up into various habitat types that promote lots of travel for cruising bucks to scent check. Native grasses, food plots, shrubs and trees, and screening all spread around and maybe even leave a few strips of fallow field to give you some better shooting opportunities. I think you have a ton of potential with this place!

As you make improvements to that field and it starts to provide more food and cover, your predominant wind direction is going to work in your favor. Based on your access points, you will be able to hunt the eastern, northern, and southern parts of your property with very little intrusion. I really like that tree line that cuts through the bottom portion of the field. I see you don't have a stand there so are you not seeing much activity in that area? The aerial photo appears to show trees big enough to hang a stand and looks like it would be a killer (no pun intended) spot, or at least it should be in a couple years.

I'm still new to this habitat thing but as far as recommendations...I would break that field up into various habitat types that promote lots of travel for cruising bucks to scent check. Native grasses, food plots, shrubs and trees, and screening all spread around and maybe even leave a few strips of fallow field to give you some better shooting opportunities. I think you have a ton of potential with this place!

Currently I don't see much activity at all on the south end of the property. I think it's mainly because the southern end of the woods is pretty open and there is nothing really in the field for the deer at this time. I think as I get the field converted into better habitat I'll start to see more deer around there. Now that you mention it, that does look like it could turn into a great stand location. Thanks for pointing that out!

Also thanks for the advice on the field. I'm going to attempt to put a plan together on the field and then I'll share it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

There are lots of way you can set it up but I would probably do something like this.
Green - screening using miscanthus giganteus which will take longer to establish but be more permanent or egyptian wheat (annual) to get something going for just this season
Orange - NWSG's
Yellow - food plots
Purple - shrub/tree plantings
Red dots - stand placement

spray field 40.JPG

There are lots of way you can set it up but I would probably do something like this.
Green - screening using miscanthus giganteus which will take longer to establish but be more permanent or egyptian wheat (annual) to get something going for just this season
Orange - NWSG's
Yellow - food plots
Purple - shrub/tree plantings
Red dots - stand placement

View attachment 14984

Thanks Pinetag! This definitely spurred some ideas for what to do! I'll try to get it drawn up here in the next couple days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HnG,

I think a dollar tree is quite reasonable and would be a major draw for the deer when they start producing. Besides persimmons can be grafted from a male to a female tree to help with production of soft mass.

Pears I think would also do well for you, sometimes offering something different at the right time of year will really pay off.

Any word on your meeting with the local guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been a while since I've been able to post. I spent several weeks on the road for work, and was on vacation last week in Orlando. It was tough to leave that warm weather, but I'm looking forward to doing more work on the property.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back