Soil PH question

Crimson850

Got my soil tests back....Planning to plant the LC brassica mix in one plot-this plot had a PH of 5.2 calling for 3.5 tons per acre of lime. Am I wasting my time planting brassicas in this plot this year because of the low PH?

2nd plot-PH of 5.8 calling for 2.25 tons of lime per acre. This is much better and I would think I'm ok to plant brasscias or most anything else?

Keep in mind I am going to lime the plots, but there isn't enough time between now and my fall planting date for it to do much good.

Plant something like Winter Rye and Med Red clover the first year. Both do better on lower PH soils. If you want add in some brassica. This way all your eggs will not be in the same basket while giving your lime time to work. .

Plant something like Winter Rye and Med Red clover the first year. Both do better on lower PH soils. If you want add in some brassica. This way all your eggs will not be in the same basket while giving your lime time to work. .

Thats what Im thinking. I think ill do the LC brassica mix in the 1 acre plot that has the 5.8 PH, and do winter rye and red clover with a small amount of brassicas in the rest.

If your ground is sandy, or just plain sand, break up those lime inputs into two or three applications. For whatever it's worth, I never apply more than 2 tons at a time and would much rather apply 1 ton every 6 months until I start hitting the numbers I'm looking for.

Back