Sedge or something else?

weekender21

My small ridge plot is very weedy and a large component is this grass. This picture is from a few months ago but from the tree this week I could see it’s taking over my plot. Sedge? Is this something I can control with Gly? This area has a good amount of smart grass as well, I definitely need to spray it in 2020.

509e6ebba12d701212c2cf2898e47042.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My small ridge plot is very weedy and a large component is this grass. This picture is from a few months ago but from the tree this week I could see it’s taking over my plot. Sedge? Is this something I can control with Gly? This area has a good amount of smart grass as well, I definitely need to spray it in 2020.

509e6ebba12d701212c2cf2898e47042.jpg

I see sedge and smartweed in that photo. It’s gonna take an herbicide to fix...

I see sedge and smartweed in that photo. It’s gonna take an herbicide to fix...

Standard 2 quarts/acre gly or something else?

I might even spray it in the spring or early summer and put in BW/oats, then spray again in August or September.

Gly wouldn’t be my choice for sedge. Sedgehammer or Basagran for sedge. I think there was a thread not long ago about smartweed, and I think Mennoniteman had the solution. That said, I cannot remember last night’s dinner so.........

Gly wouldn’t be my choice for sedge. Sedgehammer or Basagran for sedge. I think there was a thread not long ago about smartweed, and I think Mennoniteman had the solution. That said, I cannot remember last night’s dinner so.........
You can get it with Powermax, but it's gonna take everything else with it.

I don't know if this would work in 6b, but if you have a dormancy period, I'd send in the barley first. You don't have an impenetrable mass of sedge yet. Lots of research about the effects barley has on bad actors. But you gotta be able to get the barley up and going before the sedge.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/50701000/cswq-0424-kremer.pdf

You can get it with Powermax, but it's gonna take everything else with it.

I don't know if this would work in 6b, but if you have a dormancy period, I'd send in the barley first. You don't have an impenetrable mass of sedge yet. Lots of research about the effects barley has on bad actors. But you gotta be able to get the barley up and going before the sedge.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/ARSUserFiles/50701000/cswq-0424-kremer.pdf

Are the allopathic qualities of barley greater than WR? This plot was cleared last March. I planted WR and MRC at that time. It looked great in April but by June the grass and smartweed were taking hold.

Rye, clover and mowed in late August. Then no rain. The grass (sedge?) has taken a better hold now.

Not a close up but I took this picture Monday. I’m pretty sure there is more sedge than rye or clover.

275e3e88a864e261472dcb0ac81e1697.jpg

Yes Imox works on smartweed. I used it this past summer , killed most except goldenrod which isn't on the label. Would've worked better if done early spring I think, and we were in middle of major drought at the time and that hurt results sometimes. BTW, cleth is great on grasses but does not touch sedges. But I'm guilty as charged, my fields are in need of lime for the first time in 10 years but wet 2018 and spring of 2019 kept truck out of fields. Normally I wouldn't have used and have never used in 10 years of plotting, such a strong and expensive herbicide. It does the job, but if only we analyze reason for a so-called weed, or if its presence is really a problem long term, then time and money can be better spent. I maybe have said that a few thousand times, perhaps I should listen to myself.
And while I wouldn't want an overabundance of sedge, deer do browse on it some. And if you look close, clovers will actually be thick within a grass clump, making me think the two help each other. I know, blasphemy for the food plotter but observation can teach a person a bunch. Good luck in those mountains, certainly a different ballgame speaking from experience.

Are the allopathic qualities of barley greater than WR? This plot was cleared last March. I planted WR and MRC at that time. It looked great in April but by June the grass and smartweed were taking hold.

Rye, clover and mowed in late August. Then no rain. The grass (sedge?) has taken a better hold now.

Hard to say. There are too many combinations of this suppressing that to know what works best. I couldn't find the article where barley was called out as having activity on sedge. If you can grow rye, I'd try that and barley in strips. But fall plant the rye.

Back