SD formatting problems

Shufigo

I'm currently running 3 Moultrie Trace, 2 Primos and one Cuddeback Attack. I occasionally pull an SD card with zero pics, even though it is set over a high activity area (food plot or feeder). I'm using about a dozen relatively new SD cards interchangeably. After each download to my Mac computer, I format them on my Mac before reuse. That works for the Cuddeback and the Primos - but the Trace cams won't record a pic. Do the Moultrie Trace cams use a different format? The Mac format I'm using is (loosely worded) Fat bit 32. Is there a different format that all three cameras will accept?
Yes, I know it's a weird mix of camera brands. Don't worry - - the Cuddeback will not be replaced with another when it quits. Anything but....
Shuf.

The only thing I could think to do would be to open the cards and manually delete anything on them, format them and then put them in the camera(like a new card). I would also label them somehow and keep putting the same card in the same camera(Trace). I know we have had problems with some SD cards in trail cameras, but they work in a photo camera.... go figure.

What you should do is erase the cards through the camera itself, not the computer. When you select “erase card” on the camera menu, you know that you will get exactly the format that the camera needs.
This is the best way to do it.

What you should do is erase the cards through the camera itself, not the computer. When you select “erase card” on the camera menu, you know that you will get exactly the format that the camera needs.
I use my iPad to pull pics with and delete the photos with it, then put the card back in the camera. No issue doing that and I'm not formatting them every time. The only time I format a card is when it has caused/had some issues, which is rare. I have taken cards that were used in my GoPro and put them in trail cams with no issue, BUT I go to my computer(Mac) and delete everything on the card so the trail cam can install whatever it needs to for the pics to be saved.

Correct. Cards should be formatted on the device they will be used on. And deleting photos is not the same as formatting. And a card removed while device is on , or not ejecting by way of device can give you an emptied card. Rare but does happen. Not too important for our cameras but keep in mind if it is holding critical work.

While I mostly agree that formatting the card in the camera where it will be used is appropriate, there are a couple things to consider. There are several different format protocols. To drop some acronyms, FAT, FAT32, NTFS or Mac OS Extended.
If you have a card and format that card in only one trail cam, you'll probably be OK. If you switch cards anything is possible.

If you format on your computer, there's a full format and a quick format.

I suspect, (I don't really know) trail cams only do a quick format.

On a computer storage device, there's a table of contents called a File Allocation Table (FAT). It tells the seeking device where the requested information is stored. A quick format only erases the File Allocation Table.

A full format erases and formats the entire device.

Maybe you see where this is going. Your SD card is formatted when you buy it. If you put it in your trail cam and fill it partially or fully then use it in another trial cam where you format it, maybe only the File Allocation Table is erased. Then the second camera is overwriting stuff the first camera wrote. Hard to tell what the camera's operating system does then.

As I see it, the best possible solution is to format the SD card using your Mac or PC. Do a Full Format (Deselect Quick Format). And choose the correct format! My understanding is you use FAT on SD cards with less than 4GB of storage, FAT32 on anything 4GB and above. Never use NTFS or Mac OS.

Last edited:
I use an iPad to look at and save pics. I used to just delete from the card on the iPad, but sometimes wound up with pics from a different setting. Lately I've been deleting the pics from the card using the iPad, and then formatting (with the camera) each time I put a fresh card in. It seems to work better for me that way.

Back