Rootmaker 1 Gallon

T-Max

Alright guys. I tried my hand at propagating acorns this last year. I collected acorns from several species of oaks. I stored them in the fridge all winter to cold stratify and had some issues. Out of three bags of acorns, only one wasn't overtaken with mold. It happened to be a bag of pin oaks.

I direct seeded about 100 of them all over our property. I had a Rubbermaid tote that i drilled holes in the bottom of and filled with potting mix that I placed about a dozen into. I then finally bit the bullet and ordered a Rootmaker 18 Express tray and cells, so 18 of them also got planted in these.

The acorns in the Rubbermaid tote have grown tremendously. Several of the seedlings are nearing a foot tall. In anticipation of the RM 18's making it, I also ordered 18 of the 1 gallon injection molded pots. My question is, since the seedlings in the totes are doing so well, can I replant them in the 1 gallons? My concern is the taproot may be longer than the pots are deep. What is the best solution if this is the case? Can I feed the taproot through one of the holes in the bottom to air prune, or if they are so developed will it cause an issue?

Back