Roller Peas

Doe Shooter

In episode 347July,17GrowingDeerTV

(http://www.growingdeer.tv/archive/#/easy-food-plots-and-deer-hunting-strategies)

the interns tried a experiment broadcasting an Eagle seed mixture and cultipacking with no further soil preparation into a previous years fall plot. I had been contemplating a similar idea since last fall and implemented a small test patch it on my property June thirteeth broadcasting cow peas into existing fallow plot and roller crimping using the native vegetation as the mulch mat. I have been a fan of roller crimping cereal rye ahead of no till bean planting for a number of years now. Roller crimping terminates the rye effectively and the alliopathic properties of the rye and the mulch mat is pretty effective weed barrier . Also a great soil builder. I broadcast 3 pounds($2.40) of iron clay cow peas into the standing vegetation(mostly ragweed and foxtail ) on June 6 and rolled it with my home made crimper roller. When I returned on September 3 ,I was pleased with the outcome. However ,the experimental planting was in the way of our hauling parts for a new box stand, and I did not get a picture before I rolled over it again. It was a very dense stand as the pictures show. It was interesting to note that the roller effectively terminated the peas. It is obvious to see the peas will produce forage at low cost ,time and effort and out compete surrounding vegetation given a chance and favorable moisture.

I personally would not care to gamble an $ 100.00++ bag of Eagle seed on an iffy outcome as the interns on Growing Deer tried, when anyone can get a a bag of cow peas for $40.00 to experiment with . In my opinion I don’t believe it would possible to expect anything remotely close to the full potential of the Eagle seed with such a poor protocol. But I’m sure Growing Deer will share their experience with us .But I could be wrong. You would normally drill beans at 60# per acre, but most rules of thumb advice 125-150% rate on broadcasting seed. I’d be willing to try a $40.00 bag of cow peas on a half acre ,but not $100.00+ bag of Eagle seed. I’ve used Eagle seed and think it’s great stuff. I just cringe at this method, but I’m a tight wad. I have to say it is an interesting experiment, but I’d be willing to bet bet nobody paying for the high dollar seed would do this with Eagle seed. It is only fair to point out that my test planting was less than a hundred feet from ten acres of soybeans so utilization was only modest.

I’m encouraged enough to to expand the experiment to some cereal rye this fall followed by cow peas next June . If this works out ,it will change the way I plot for deer. As an interesting aside I’ve been using my home made roller crimper lay down the tall field grass in lieu of mowing. It seems just as ef

fective and quicker than mowing. This has to be the fastest low , low cost, low effort hi return method for hidey hole plots if it proves to be productive.

Mike

Nice stand of peas using the described method! Thats very encouraging for those without better equipment.
Did you get a lot of rain on the plot after seeding?

Nice stand of peas using the described method! Thats very encouraging for those without better equipment.
Did you get a lot of rain on the plot after seeding?
We had about two inches in three week after rolling.Cow peas are pretty drought resistant. As far as equipment I'm pretty much make my own kind of guy or antique implements. This took under ten minutes start to finish. I did not know how much I was going to like that roller when I made it. I even use it instead of mowing.

Doe Shooter that roller crimper looks like it did a great job. Does it bounce bad while pulling it?

Doe Shooter, I strongly suggest you get some thin plywood that can be screwed to the inside of the windows on that stand to totally seal it during the off season. Owls and buzzards love to nest in stands like that and will make a mess that totally ruins your day.

Doe Shooter that roller crimper looks like it did a great job. Does it bounce bad while pulling it?
Shaw , not a bit. Filled with concrete and scrap steel. Weighs a bunch ,don't know how much, but would make it heavier if I could have.
Semisane: We have used this pattern box for 25 years. The biggest issue we have is squirrels. The last of the season toss a couple bar baits in does a world of good. Don't insulate. Mice move in and stink it up. Roof is TPO. Office chairs from construction demos.;)

"Semisane: We have used this pattern box for 25 years."

If we did that in my neck of the woods it would have either an owl nest or a buzzard nest in it by the middle of May, and inch deep poop by September. :(

Back