Red osier dogwood cuttings

pinetag

Does anyone have enough ROD shrubs on their property that you could take a bunch of cuttings and send them my way? I can pay for shipping.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

If you end up having to buy some, I found a place last year where you can buy 4 bundles of 4 shrubs (16 shrubs) for $20, or $1.25 each. These are rooted rather than cuttings, and the roots are excellent. The shrubs themselves are just little whips about a foot tall. This seemed reasonable to me due to the fact that I was seeing cuttings (not rooted) for $2 each. The place is Burgess Seed Company, but I just looked, and they are showing "out of season" right now.

My plans are to get a few of these RODs started in cages and then get my own cuttings to spread them once they start maturing. I can remove the cages from the maturing shrubs once they can withstand the browse pressure and use the cages for starting the cuttings at different locations. I have some places that should be great for RODs once all the sweetgums are killed - and I really do enjoy killing sweetgums - almost as much as killing coyotes.

PS - I wish I had about 500 ROD cuttings to stick in the ground right now. I would like to see how many would make it without protection. If a guy got 25% success, it wouldn't be bad.

If you end up having to buy some, I found a place last year where you can buy 4 bundles of 4 shrubs (16 shrubs) for $20, or $1.25 each. These are rooted rather than cuttings, and the roots are excellent. The shrubs themselves are just little whips about a foot tall. This seemed reasonable to me due to the fact that I was seeing cuttings (not rooted) for $2 each. The place is Burgess Seed Company, but I just looked, and they are showing "out of season" right now.

My plans are to get a few of these RODs started in cages and then get my own cuttings to spread them once they start maturing. I can remove the cages from the maturing shrubs once they can withstand the browse pressure and use the cages for starting the cuttings at different locations. I have some places that should be great for RODs once all the sweetgums are killed - and I really do enjoy killing sweetgums - almost as much as killing coyotes.

PS - I wish I had about 500 ROD cuttings to stick in the ground right now. I would like to see how many would make it without protection. If a guy got 25% success, it wouldn't be bad.
Thanks Native. I'll check them out for sure.

I actually got about 30 or so cuttings back in 2021, put them in the ground, and not a single one made it. I also bought a potted one that same spring and caged it, and it is doing well. It is almost to the top of the 4 foot cage so I could take a few cuttings from it (and probably will), but I really need more volume since I'm trying to establish them in my new cutover. I would plant them among the tree tops and ideally that will help protect a good % and allow them to survive.

I need to get some and pot them as I planted cuttings last year in a spot that stays damp all the time except last summer and it dried and every one died.I think I will pot this time if I find some more for sale

I grabbed three on clearance at the landscape supply yard for $5 each, and planted them in my rain garden at home, in December. Hopefully they'll take, so I'll have a local source for cuttings. I'm mildly worried, as it's been very wet, and was below freezing for a few days.

I grabbed three on clearance at the landscape supply yard for $5 each, and planted them in my rain garden at home, in December. Hopefully they'll take, so I'll have a local source for cuttings. I'm mildly worried, as it's been very wet, and was below freezing for a few days.
As George stated they like wet, which is why I need some. My land is flat river bottom

As George stated they like wet, which is why I need some. My land is flat river bottom

Mine grows native and is prominent on 8 acres of bottom land that is poor quality, hard, wet clay soil. It was 5 degrees there yesterday morning.

I bought bare roots from coldstream when I was in Michigan and loaded up my property with them.

Red Osier Dogwood - Cornus Sericea | Deciduous Shrubs | Cold Stream Farm

They also grew well up out of the water on sandier hillsides in Michigan. I really like that plant.

Didn't have much luck getting them growing in Iowa.

I might try some here in Kentucky down in my creek bottom, since you guys got me going on them.

Dogwood beat out soybeans on the road to the final forb, very highly sought out for it's high calcium content.

I put in my order.

Road to the final forage.
CHAMPIONSHIP | FINAL FORAGE - YouTube

G

Last edited:
Back