Red Cedar Rodeo, Lincoln Co, Agra OK.....Sept 22, 2016

dgallow

This came to me through a Noble Foundation contact. We hosted cedar rodeos on a large ranch in eastern OK back in the 80s. They are worthwhile events to attend to learn about cedar issues, control, and measures to for forage/soil regeneration. This event is in Dogdoc's county so maybe you will get a chance to meet him! We will be at that 499 ranch in TN that week for a planned grazing school!

Eastern juniper? Or real cedar? I've always thought they were decent thermal cover and good bird habitat? What are your thoughts, since ok is Really far from me. I have juniper.

Eastern red cedar (ERC).....it is a water wasting plant in range land which destroys diversity and forage productivity. At 10% of landscape or less ERC is a normal part for the ecosystem. At higher rates it begins to limit land productivity....ie quickly becomes an invasive weed status.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering I can see how it could get out of control if it didn't have any species to out compete. Around these parts, it an early successional tree. They die when the poplar, sassafras, oak and hickory block the sun, so it's only an edge species.

A shelter belt of male ERC (no bluish/gray berries) makes good winter upland bird cover or a screen. Once you have what you want then cut down the female trees with berries or they will spread if not kept in check by continued management.

I am a little hesitant to mention juniper and cedar as the same because there is ashy juniper and red berry juniper down in TX which are totally different plants. Red berry juniper, for ex, is fire resistant under most burn protocols and can grow new sprouts from a cut stump...very hard to control without intense fire under red flag conditions.

Red cedar is easily controlled by cutting below the lowest limb or with prescribed fire.

ERC is a regional problem is this part of the US leading to vast acreages of degraded rangeland, loss of soil function, and increased flooding. The plants can grow at an incredible rate given 3 years of good growing conditions.

Most burn associations in the central plain states are well versed in cedar and juniper topics. That is why the field day above is comprehensive in nature....economic, social and ecological aspects.

Back