Ready to harvest

I am glad I saw this thread. Been busy this year so I haven't checked our trees until I saw this yesterday. We had a carpet of pecans on the ground.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's been on heck of a year with all these storms we've had. Lost a lot of limbs and a few tree because of it.

My Mom has a half dozen pecan trees around her house, some pretty good producers. Any time I am headed up that way I will email and ask if she needs me to bring anything. Her reply normally is "yes, bring your chain saw. I have another limb down". Man, those pecan limbs break easily.

My Mom has a half dozen pecan trees around her house, some pretty good producers. Any time I am headed up that way I will email and ask if she needs me to bring anything. Her reply normally is "yes, bring your chain saw. I have another limb down". Man, those pecan limbs break easily.

When they have a heavy crop (like I had this year) they have so much weight on the limbs that any decent storm really does some damage. As they get really old, like the 100year old natives, they self prune essentially. Any limb that's heavily shaded is pretty much aborted and dropped so they become very messy for yard trees lol. Pretty, but messy.

Ended the season with 115 squirrel kills. - and 11,000lbs of Pecan production now for colder weather and more deer hunting!

We have a bigger problem with crows. Don't get me wrong, squirrels do their part but those damn crows will set up in the tops of the trees and pick the pecans before they're even ripe. Just a few of them can pick a tree clean (depending on size) in a matter of days. They have super hearing and eyesight so they're very hard to kill unlike a squirrel. We use propane powered noise cannons to keep them at bay but some of them get wise to it and stay anyway.

We have a bigger problem with crows. Don't get me wrong, squirrels do their part but those damn crows will set up in the tops of the trees and pick the pecans before they're even ripe. Just a few of them can pick a tree clean (depending on size) in a matter of days. They have super hearing and eyesight so they're very hard to kill unlike a squirrel. We use propane powered noise cannons to keep them at bay but some of them get wise to it and stay anyway.

Yes crows were very bad this year. Much worse than normal. They make a pretty sweet crow gun that shoots a 'whistler', sounds like a bottle rocket. Crows do not like it. But a propane cannon is in the works for next year. I can keep them off the orchard while I'm down there but I work every three days at the station and I need something to be working while I'm gone. Our squirrel damage is as bad or worse than crows right now.

60 would be a freezer full.:) i eat them and really do think they are good. Especially young ones deep fried.
I started a small pecan orchard here on the Home 10, but soil conditions have shown i cant grow as many as I'd hoped. But i do have about ten grafted trees on good soil. Love pecans!

Back