rattling/grunting

moved post to deer hunting section

I am hunting in central mississippi around simpson co. i have been deer hunting for 30 years but never been very serious about it. this year i am trying to see if i can improve my chances and kill some decent bucks. i normally kill ok bucks and a doe every once and awhile. i am a serious turkey hunter and have great success with calling turkeys every year. but i have never had any success grunting or rattling for deer. i have only tried last year and this year. any suggestions? certain times only? i have never had a buck come to either. i have had does come into my location when grunting and/or rattling but seem to pay it no mind?

i hunt on 350 acres of private property but it does get pretty decent hunting pressure in and around the area. there are 3 "shooter" bucks on camera but mostly move at night of course. hoping to rattle/grunt one up during the daylight hours

any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I grunted in the buck I killed this year. However, I saw him before I grunted. I never grunt blindly.

I have had success rattling blind, but only on younger bucks.

The ONLY times I have ever had any luck making noise was when using a decoy. The only other time was a fawn distress bleat and I had a doe come in to see what was going on... I have grunted at bucks, rattled at bucks and I get nothing more than a look in my direction at best...

Being only about 15 minutes from you in Smith County. I can tell you first my experience with calling, rattling and deer lures in this part of Mississippi. Its simple. Don't do it. Unless you have a large field or cutover the deer you call or grunt circle downwind of you without you ever seeing them. Only educating them to your location. I've had a little success with scents but I put them a good ways away from me. Deer in this part of the country are just weird. IF you were to rattle or grunt I'd do it now. We are in the pre-rut where they would be doing that stuff. The few times I've grunted at a deer they went in the other direction in a hurry. Deer around these part aren't as vocal as some may think. Hope you have a great season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I've had more luck with a can call than I have grunting or rattling. I think non-dominant bucks shy from grunt calls, at least that's been my experience.

I've had more luck with a can call than I have grunting or rattling. I think non-dominant bucks shy from grunt calls, at least that's been my experience.
Great point. I've learned first hand. Just because they might have the biggest rack doesn't mean they're top dog. Bucks don't have mirrors in the woods to see what they have up top. Every deer I've ever called has run away probably thinking it was a bigger deer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rattling is my favorite way to hunt.Need good buck doe ratio with plenty bucks in older age classes for it to work best. I like mildly windy days. Move every 15-20 mins Rattle in a youngster then watch him and he will clue you to any other bucks sneaking in. Helps to have decent downwind visibility but don't believe they all come in down wind. Sometimes they come charging from wherever they are. Big fun!

I’ve had much diff experience w bleats,grunts , and rattling than you guys. As withanything not always effective but timing and following protocol can give potential success w 150 class bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most Ive never had much luck with grunting or rattling, but have had decent luck with doe bleats.

This season is the first time Ive ever heard a buck actually grunt, and maybe it was in response to my grunting, maybe not.

It was getting towards dark, and I was watching a decent little 4x4 with a doe about 500 yards from my stand out in a cornfield, I figured I had a little bit of time, I thought Id do some grunting and maybe a little rattling and just see what happened, I wouldn't have shot the 4x4 if he was 5 ft from me, but I figured Id work on my technique. So Id grunt a couple times and hed look my way but was staying with the doe. All of a sudden from my 5 o'clock I heard another grunt, turns out it was one of 2 bucks that I would shoot if I had the chance. He was also following right behind a hot doe and was grunting, he came in at about 30 yards from the blind, so I gave him a dirt nap.

Back