Rain didn’t come before the freeze...

OkieKubota

Staff member
So we are in an exceptional drought due to only .25 rain in over 2 months at this point and the seed that didn’t germinate (some) and immediately die (most) is still just lying in the soil and out temps tonight are secheduled for high teens so it appears we are beyond any fall food plots at this point irregardless of future rain. Crazy thing about this drought here at home is we have a bumper white oak acorn crop here but spotty to none in many other areas. Luckily we have a lot of white oaks so even though cameras are showing very little deer movement due to no water sources for more than 2 miles from this point due to drought so if it rains this next week some deer may come back. 2022 is proving to be a challenge...if we had water and acorns we would be golden but I think the best hunting strategy so far this fall would be to go to a pond and wait...it’s that dry...

I could be wrong, but I don't think a hard freeze will kill cereal grain seed Okie. It's supposed to warm right back up, if we can get some rain next week, you might still be ok for some food plot growth. Back in '11, we didn't get rain on our plots until the first week of November, they came on like gang busters after that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a hard freeze will kill cereal grain seed Okie. It's supposed to warm right back up, if we can get some rain next week, you might still be ok for some food plot growth. Back in '11, we didn't get rain on our plots until the first week of November, they came on like gang busters after that.

I hope you’re right, and I think you are. We have over $1,000 worth of lime, fertilizer, and seed in the ground, I’d hate to see all that go to waste.

Oh I didn’t think the seed would go bad out there in the cold...just that we don’t have enough growing season to make it even worth it and any substantial growth would be in the spring...basically the seasons I put a plot out for will be a bust because one of them starts Saturday...

Yep, that’s why I haven’t thrown mine yet, but that is going to change Thursday.
Just looked at our forecast. We have a chance of rain next Monday night, pretty much nothing in the 10 day other than that. Not sure I want to plant yet but if I don't then it isn't likely that I'll plant at all this fall.

Just looked at our forecast. We have a chance of rain next Monday night, pretty much nothing in the 10 day other than that. Not sure I want to plant yet but if I don't then it isn't likely that I'll plant at all this fall.
Yep, cereals will grow late. Like I said earlier, I've had good plots by mid to late November on seed planted in September and not rained on until first week of November.

I went down to our deer lease in southern Cherokee county yesterday and was shocked to find puddles and our creek was running...I checked farm logs and we got 2.26” down there Saturday...crazy! So dry up her where we live and try to raise cattle...

My father made a quick trip up to our property this week to knock out a few last minute items until deer season. Our plots are struggling right now as we have gotten barely over .10" of rain since planting. Shady areas and/or areas with good thatch have sprouted but struggling; areas in sun and/or without good thatch haven't sprout yet (some loss to predation - . With the rain in the forecast, he went a head and over seeded with some more winter rye - just trying to make sure something grows when the moisture arrives.

Thankfully my plot is just off a travel corridor along a white oak bench - my stand is situated at the corner of a food plot along a power line right of way that cuts across the travel corridor. Per my uncle, white oaks, chinquapin oaks, and dwarf chinquapin oaks made acorns this year, and they are raining down right now - he picked up 100 or so yesterday evening.

I checked my plot at home this morning and I have wheat at about an inch or a little higher. We are due more rain Monday so that should give us a little boost hopefully.

I think I just decided to spread my seed this weekend and hope for rain. Not going to "pray" for it as I don't want to ask God for something he can't provide. But, I can put out a sprinkler for a small section of plot that's amongst my fruit trees hedge the bets in my favor. Probably should have considered that before now but I'm pretty dense sometimes.

I’ve waited till mid nov to plant grains in past. They did fine. No moisture sux tho and even dew is typically light in drought. We’ve had snow and sub freezing temps for 2 wks. I’m overseeding brassica w grains next wk. good luck to you drought guys.
Joseph dealt w a 7 year drought. Doubt he liked it much either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My father made a quick trip up to our property this week to knock out a few last minute items until deer season. Our plots are struggling right now as we have gotten barely over .10" of rain since planting. Shady areas and/or areas with good thatch have sprouted but struggling; areas in sun and/or without good thatch haven't sprout yet (some loss to predation - . With the rain in the forecast, he went a head and over seeded with some more winter rye - just trying to make sure something grows when the moisture arrives.

Thankfully my plot is just off a travel corridor along a white oak bench - my stand is situated at the corner of a food plot along a power line right of way that cuts across the travel corridor. Per my uncle, white oaks, chinquapin oaks, and dwarf chinquapin oaks made acorns this year, and they are raining down right now - he picked up 100 or so yesterday evening.
We have more white oak acorns than I have ever seen here in the past...

We have more white oak acorns than I have ever seen here in the past...

I can’t figure that Okie, since we are both in a drought. I have some white oaks with a few acorns and one that is positively loaded, but it’s in a low spot behind my pond dam. I haven’t wandered through the woods, this is just my observation from normal activities on the place. There may be more than I think. It doesn’t make much difference though, the hogs will scarf them up as soon as they hit the ground. :(

Good luck for a full recovery with some rain!!!

I got 50 lbs of Wheat and 50 lbs of Oats still sitting in my truck back seat along with Several Bags of Lime, Fertilizer, and some Black Kow for good measure still under a tarp in the bed.

Not sure if I’ll even get the chance to go up and plant this Fall now.

If not I’m hoping it will still be good for a Spring Planting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back