Pruning apple trees

jlane35

Is it to late to prune apple trees in PA?

I’ve been so busy I couldn’t get to it this winter. I’ll be planting more trees tomorrow, so I figure if it’s not to late I’ll get to them also.

I don't think it is too late if it's a healthy tree and you don't go overboard. Some people even think it's better to prune trees in the summer, because they will make fewer water sprouts if they are pruned at that time. I've snipped around on fruit trees at all times of the year and haven't killed any yet. It's better to do a little every year rather than go hog wild and try to do too much at once.

I don't think it is too late if it's a healthy tree and you don't go overboard. Some people even think it's better to prune trees in the summer, because they will make fewer water sprouts if they are pruned at that time. I've snipped around on fruit trees at all times of the year and haven't killed any yet. It's better to do a little every year rather than go hog wild and try to do too much at once.

Perfect! And that’s what I’ve been doing to my semi-mature trees that were neglected. I caged 10 in one big cage and I’m working on cutting back the lower limbs so they can be individually caged. Otherwise the apples are just rotting on the ground inside the cage.

I definitely went hog wild on a few last month! Hopefully they’re healthy enough to take the punishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that they will do fine. Deer and rodents are generally harder on apple trees than humans - unless you bushhog them down...:D

I think you’re right. The most intense pruning I did was to clean up bear damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it to late to prune apple trees in PA?

I’ve been so busy I couldn’t get to it this winter. I’ll be planting more trees tomorrow, so I figure if it’s not to late I’ll get to them also.
Nurseyman man,late father in law said: Plant or prune in any month with an R"

Back