Poweline Management

SteveK

So I have a large powerline that splits my property. About 6 years ago when I bought the property it was so thick with Cedars, grasses, and saplings. It was great deer loved it and it was a major bed. About 3 years ago the power company came in and cut it, which I figured was coming. Since then on 1 section I have planted switchgrass and in the other I let regrow with the thought of when the shrubs and cedars get big Ill cut them but continue to maintain it. It seemed like about 2 years in it was high with grass and becoming a nice bed again. So unfortunately this past week a portion of it got cut again. I am an absentee landowner and get there about once a month, so did not have a chance to stop or manage what was cut prior to them cutting. I just got the picture from a neighbor. The switchgrass I have planted on the top of the powerline has been doing great it has just taken some time to establish. I have a few questions, The switch I have now I haven't had to mow, but is it absolutely necessary to burn the switch or will mowing it when necessary be adequate? If I have to burn it, im not sure a large section will work with the powerlines above. My though is since they cut the lower half, I could seed the switch, maintain it and wont have to worry about them cutting due to trees. The other thought is the powerline grows nice with grasses naturally, just let it regrow and keep the trees/shrubs cut. I did reach out to the power company and had them add a note to the vegetation control on my farm not to cut. Also, I hear a lot of people talk about switchgrass and johnson grass, can someone explain the difference? I buy my cav-n-rock switch from ernst seed, but my friend always calls it johnson grass. I have attached a picture for reference on the powerline. Thanks for the help.
Powerline_7-27-21.png

Switchgrass is native to the US. It provides good cover year round, because it stands up well in the winter. It's only moderately aggressive and can be managed easily so that you can have beneficial forbs and other grasses with it. Johnson grass is introduced and is an invasive species. It is extremely aggressive - choking out forbs and other beneficial pants - and it flattens in the winter - providing little or no cover once it goes down.

Yes, you can manage switchgrass without burning. I've been managing it for years just by mowing and spot spraying. Burning is probably the best, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

PS - That is a very high voltage power line. I would be surprised if the power company didn't actually own the right of way on that one rather than have an easement. However, perhaps it is an old easement that is still in place. I've seen that happen too. Either way, I think you could have some problems with starting a fire under it. Just check with someone at the company before you do anything.

Good luck and take care.

Power lines can arc to the ground through smoke, I'm guessing that it is illegal to burn.

G

All four of my main hunting spots have powerlines running through them, and anywhere close to the powerline seems to be the place to be when hunting deer.
Why do powerlines always seem to be deer magnets? Is it the "edge" factor? Or the abundance of forbs? Or maybe the deer get a charge out of hearing the wires sizzle?

Thanks for the description Native. Yea the area I have in switch I haven’t had to cut yet but I’ve heard both. I’m definitely not burning under those lines lol. I just wanted to get some opinions if I could manager with mowing and spraying. The powerline is an easement, but yea I’ve talked with the power company. Mennoniteman, yea I’m not quite sure I know this one seems to have early successional habitat with cedars and grasses and it’s like a magnet! I think the edge has something to do with it as well. That is a good question about the sizzle though lol. I know when I walk to my stand in the morning I can see the energy in the lines sometimes! Another question, I still have some cave-n-rock from this winters frost seeding. I had good luck with it germinating. Do you think since this is cut now I could spray with glyphosate and 2-4d and seed with success? Or do you think would be better off trying and keep mowed till fall, follow same process? Suggestions

I’m with Native, that line is too big to be an easement but, either way it sounds like they’ll work with you. Plant and maintain at your own risk. There’s a lot of pressure for the utility companies to keep these lines clear so I’d guess every couple years you’re going to see activity. And the people doing it will all be different. I wouldn’t burn there. I would hinge cut some bedding off to the sides. You have good slope there for some good bedding. Then use the power line for shooting.

Thanks for the description Native. Yea the area I have in switch I haven’t had to cut yet but I’ve heard both. I’m definitely not burning under those lines lol. I just wanted to get some opinions if I could manager with mowing and spraying. The powerline is an easement, but yea I’ve talked with the power company. Mennoniteman, yea I’m not quite sure I know this one seems to have early successional habitat with cedars and grasses and it’s like a magnet! I think the edge has something to do with it as well. That is a good question about the sizzle though lol. I know when I walk to my stand in the morning I can see the energy in the lines sometimes! Another question, I still have some cave-n-rock from this winters frost seeding. I had good luck with it germinating. Do you think since this is cut now I could spray with glyphosate and 2-4d and seed with success? Or do you think would be better off trying and keep mowed till fall, follow same process? Suggestions
The earlier in August that you plant, the more of a chance that you take with drought, but the better the plot will be if it rains. I'm a risk taker, so I'd plant now.

So the power company stated they've marked the file for their vegetation control personnel. I talked with the tree company who has a contract, they said mark the areas, so I am going to get some signs made up for the future. I have to seed the rest of my fall plots the 2nd week of august depending on rain, so I'm with you, myswell get it on the ground and cross my fingers. Bright side is its basically taken down to dirt in some of the areas so seed will have good contact.

I have a power line that splits my property and neighbors. When this went in I got stuck negotiating with power company for several neighbors.Part of this was to get the non galvanized poles and control what some of the maintenance plans were. Mine is one the only one that owners are concerned with habitat. We could have switch and we could maintain as long as we kept trees cut out. We mow yearly as yes there is a danger of power coming through the carbon smoke.I had signs made at a local sign company that say Owner Maintained R/W .They are hanging on the gate they have to drive through. They also painted this on the poles and have in contract that at any time I notify them they have to repaint.I would find the easement and get a copy.You may be able to do shrubs also as we could if we wanted

Back