Pots and root developement (rootmaker, plastic, etc.)

catscratch

I've done two yrs of experiments with different pots now.

Here are a couple of things I found:

- Rootmakers always prune roots and develop lateral branching. They will also grow into the soil if left directly on the ground.

- Jiffy pots produce the exact same root systems as Rootmakers.

- Homemade plastic pots almost always cause circling and hooking.

The root system on the left is several weeks older than the others. The three on the right were all planted on the same day.
39a8db05d5c7b097d29fee2639dc9893.jpg

now your stressing me out!:(

I used a 2-liter plastic bottle - with the intent of providing as much room as possible - but it sounds like I may still be in trouble......

now your stressing me out!:(

I used a 2-liter plastic bottle - with the intent of providing as much room as possible - but it sounds like I may still be in trouble......
I would bet they are circled. No worries though. Cut them when you plant them and keep them watered for a yr. After that let nature sort it out.

Keep planting some every yr, good thing will happen. Have I told you about the 50 sawtooth bare root trees my parents bought me? I spent a day with a spade planting in the rain (heavy clay soil that sticks to a shovel like crazy). Wore my butt out. We started a drought that summer with a couple of months of triple digit temp in a row. Lost every one of those damn trees! But the ones I planted the yr before survived and some since then have survived.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I checked my potted ones last night and I had 7 chestnuts and only 6 chickapin oaks off a tree thats on my place.I am trying to decide to plant or pot till spring.They are in my dads small greenhouse

Good thread. I do believe we have our best outcomes when you plant as many years in a row as possible.

I do believe planting seedlings in the fall / early winter gives us a better advantage in most years. The roots on the board show the outcome of different pots is a great visual for the short term. As Catscratch said, what we do when we plant (such as cutting roots) can help improve our chances.

Wayne

I'm with Wayne on planting potted trees. I like to wait until fall dormancy unless I can water all summer. But even then I think it's stressful to plant in the summer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back