Porcupine and squirrels

David Bakara

Im looking to purchase forest found examples of porcupine/squirrel teeth marks on shed antlers and skulls/bones. I’m working on a presentation about carcass and fossil conditions in the wild.
Thank you in advance.

Just take an old shed and wire it to the top of a fence post, it will have teeth marks on it in no time. I keep one wired to my fence for them to chew on so the don't mess with the skull mount I have over my barn door. Has worked well. They have eaten about 1/2 of a large 4 pt. shed.

Can I ask why "forest found" is important? I have one that is quite a chewed up from squirrels....but I am in ag country. So I am not sure this would interest you....

Just take an old shed and wire it to the top of a fence post, it will have teeth marks on it in no time. I keep one wired to my fence for them to chew on so the don't mess with the skull mount I have over my barn door. Has worked well. They have eaten about 1/2 of a large 4 pt. shed.
Can I ask why "forest found" is important? I have one that is quite a chewed up from squirrels....but I am in ag country. So I am not sure this would interest you....

Thank you very much!
Here are some pics....all of the same antler. It's not a big antler but that is a tennis ball for reference. All the points have some damage and you can see the area of G2 to G3 along the beam has taken the brunt of the chewing. I tried to get some good pics of that area in particular. You can see where they have gotten thru the otter layer so to speak and into the "core" of it.
chew 1.jpg
chew 2.jpg
chew 3.jpg
chew 4.jpg
chew 5.jpg

You may want to study this for your presentation...
IME, rodents are much more apt to chew shed antlers than they are the antlers still attached to the skull of a carcass. I don't know why that is but shed antlers get eaten much quicker. Antlers that are still attached to a skull will eventually get eaten but not nearly as soon. Anyone else notice that?

You may want to study this for your presentation...
IME, rodents are much more apt to chew shed antlers than they are the antlers still attached to the skull of a carcass. I don't know why that is but shed antlers get eaten much quicker. Antlers that are still attached to a skull will eventually get eaten but not nearly as soon. Anyone else notice that?
Yes....In my very limited experience I have seen that as well.

Reactions: Tap
Back