Pond Digging

BoneCrusher20

Looking for some input on pond digging. I got some horse trading going on where i got buddy of mine giving me two full days w/ mid-size mini excavator. There are only so many stumps/rocks i can have him pull out, soooo...

Thinking about putting in a small pond, maybe like about 20' diameter. Any suggestions or things i should consider.

Was thinking of putting it in a shaded part of natural drainage point from some surrounding hills; however, i doubt i have much clay down there, as our land has lot more sand/loam than clay, so i'm not sure how i'm going to get water to stay even if i have him dig it out a little further.

Maybe a liner? Read about betonite clay hauling in load of that possibly. Solar powered pump (sounds expensive)

or maybe i should go wider, but shallower? Was going to go 20', but dig ways down. I'm leaning toward the betonite clay if i can find somewhere to get it from....liners i feel like just matter of time before they get punctured or just a pain to get into place

got any springs you can use? If you can collect drainage from a spring or seepage you can overcome some of your loss to drainage due to sub-par soil.
Bentonite is not hard to find I don't think. I looked into getting some a while back and I believe I could get it from the local co-op

or maybe i should go wider, but shallower? Was going to go 20', but dig ways down. I'm leaning toward the betonite clay if i can find somewhere to get it from....liners i feel like just matter of time before they get punctured or just a pain to get into place

Keep in mind that “wider” equals more surface area that will lead to more evaporation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask an old farmer where to put it and size. I’ve got 2 on my place and no way would I’ve chosen where the old guy put them. In the worst of droughts they are full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 3 ponds on my place I have built. All have liners. For the liners I contacted the co op and they have what they call "grain bags".These are the long white marshmellows you see along the field for grain storage. When they remove the grain the machine slices them. So now you have a 24x300' tarp. They will give you these for FREE! Just over dig it by 12-18" put down the tarp and backfill it with 12" of dirt. Valllaaaahhh...I can build one with my skid in a couple days.
Altho I have a year around creek on my place they prefer to water at the ponds. I would speculate it's because they can hear where they put their head down to the water to drink.

Back