Pole saw, battery or gas??

Tap

I guess it's time a get a pole saw for some work around the yard.
I've been hearing some very good things about the new generation of battery chainsaws.
Anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.
Tom

I'm in for info! I almost pulled the trigger on a battery chainsaw a month ago and just couldn't do it.... kind of wish I had.

Stihl Kombisystem.... it’s gas and more than likely heavier. I like it because I get longer run times and better cutting power. Other bonus is kombisystem attachments.

Like bigJ says, you don't usually go wrong with Stihl, although there's lemons in every brand. I've used both and I prefer the gas model for trimming trails. A gas can is easier to tote along on the ATV than a charger. If you cut a lot, get gas for the extra power. If you just trim a few limbs here and there, get the cordless battery model, less to go wrong. But if you don't use it much you still need to charge the battery periodically, a dead battery that isn't charged right away is a junk battery, and a new Stihl 36-volt Lithium-Ion battery will set you back $179.95 +tx.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tap
Check out the Oregon brand battery pole saws. A bit pricey but they are some kind of nice. Had mine for little over a year and it's been a beast. Comes with either 40V or 60V. I got the 40 and it's good for 2+ hrs of steady work cutting. Son has the 60V. Recharges in bout an hour n half.

I just bought a new Dewalt pole saw. Iv'e been wanting a cordless one and the price was right without breaking the bank. I only need it for light work anyway. It's 20V and I have plenty of batteries from my other Dewalt tools. It's pretty light, and I've only had the chance to make a couple of test cuts on limbs around the yard. So far so good. Enough power for what I need it for. It's 6 to 15' long.

Love me some Silky saws. But with several miles of interior roads / firebreaks where I'm always battling limb creep, one with a motor, either fuel or battery, is a lifesaver on cutting overhanging/encroaching limbs.
You had me thinking for a minute, "limb creep" I thought a perv might be hanging around. But I agree, a pole saw is the perfect tool to fight those creepy limbers, and if you have several miles of trails it better have a motor. I do have several manual pole saws, mostly for cutting shooting lanes. Anyway, guys are often asking about late winter projects, this is an important one. Walk every trail/ road with a polesaw and cut extra wide but try to keep some overhead cover higher than 12-15' for shade so that the road doesn't grow shut with briers. Doing trail trimming in midwinter is easier for multiple reasons, and frees up the summer and fall for food plots and hunting.

I not only bought an electric pole saw, I bought an electric chain saw. My old Stihl gasser was getting pretty old, and as I have a bigger Husky for actual tree felling and firewood cutting, I decided to go electric for a light saw with 16” bar. I was astounded with what the 40v GreenWorks saw could do. So I did the natural thing and bought a GreenWorks 40v pole saw. Now I have two 40v batteries in case I need them, twelve foot reach with the pole saw, but I’ve never had to change batteries yet if I started out with a full charge. The best thing about the pole saw, other than the weight, is that the bar is angled, so no more pinched saw when you’re reaching for those high limbs. My Stihl gas saw would pinch half the time and you’re left twisting and pulling trying to get it loose. I wouldn’t trade my electric pole saw for the best gas saw made, not if I have to run it:)

I not only bought an electric pole saw, I bought an electric chain saw. My old Stihl gasser was getting pretty old, and as I have a bigger Husky for actual tree felling and firewood cutting, I decided to go electric for a light saw with 16” bar. I was astounded with what the 40v GreenWorks saw could do. So I did the natural thing and bought a GreenWorks 40v pole saw. Now I have two 40v batteries in case I need them, twelve foot reach with the pole saw, but I’ve never had to change batteries yet if I started out with a full charge. The best thing about the pole saw, other than the weight, is that the bar is angled, so no more pinched saw when you’re reaching for those high limbs. My Stihl gas saw would pinch half the time and you’re left twisting and pulling trying to get it loose. I wouldn’t trade my electric pole saw for the best gas saw made, not if I have to run it:)

The trick to keep from pinching the bar is doing an undercut on the limb about a 1/4" to 1/2" before you start cutting from the top and you will never pinch the bar again.

I have a gas powered saw and cut a couple miles of trails last month to be able to get the lime truck to all my plots and didn't even use a tank full of gas so I like the dependability of gas.

The trick to keep from pinching the bar is doing an undercut on the limb about a 1/4" to 1/2" before you start cutting from the top and you will never pinch the bar again.

I have a gas powered saw and cut a couple miles of trails last month to be able to get the lime truck to all my plots and didn't even use a tank full of gas so I like the dependability of gas.

I get that, but why when you don’t have to ? I have a gas powered Stihl too, but I won’t use it anymore. More work, and at my age I’m into less work. I’ve even thought about a hydraulic saw for my tractor. :)

My wife ordered me a refurbished riobi 3 Christmases ago and it's been very good to me. I also got a cordless drill, so I have 3 batteries total, which comes in very handy. It's on 18v but it will take a good sized limb down quick. Nice thing about a pole saw is it's off the ground a long ways usually and the chains stay sharp for a long time. I still haven't had to sharpen the chain on mine. I can't imagine going back to the manual pole saws I wore out every couple of years!!

I get that, but why when you don’t have to ? I have a gas powered Stihl too, but I won’t use it anymore. More work, and at my age I’m into less work. I’ve even thought about a hydraulic saw for my tractor. :)

Just trying to help someone out. I already have gas powered version, so I don't need to buy another.

I don't recommend the hydraulic saw for the tractor FEL. Our company bought one for another yard to run and it's a waste of money due to the fact you put to much down pressure on the chain and it stops turning no matter how careful you are.

Last edited:
I have two pole saws. I bought a Stihl shortly after they first came out. It has run well for us. I say us because when the saw is extended it's a handful for me so my son takes over as he has more ballast than I have. This saw has been trouble free and will cut as well as any chainsaw given it's size.
I also have an electric pole saw: https://www.harborfreight.com/95-In-7-Amp-Corded-Electric-Pole-Saw-62896.html
Don't laugh this one off quite yet. I use this saw and power it with one of my Honda EU 2000 generators. I put the generator either in the bed of my pick up or on the front rack of my ATV. This saw really cuts well and is much lighter than the Stihl gas saw. When I bought the electric saw it was on sale for $69.95 and IMO has paid for it self in wear and tear saved on my Stihl and my back and arms.
The main drawback is you have to watch the electric cord you have to drag around but it's not that big a problem when you get used to it. It's pretty easy to walk away and forget you are limited to how far you can go without pulling the plug out of the generator.
We also have two manual pole trimmers but as far as I'm concerned they can stay right in the barn. The only rope I will pull on now is the starter on the Stihl or the Honda.
Lynn

Still, If you are confused in pole saw, battery and gas, then I recommend a guide. Toolsbros is a tools buying guide that I found on google and I think it's best to choose tools.

Back