Plans For 2023

I’ll plant 6 acres of forage beans again and overseed with brassicas and rye. I doubt we’ll grow a single pod because of browsing pressure. I’m planting beans again because I can spray with RR and try to knock the quickweed and lambsquarter back. My preference would be to planting all six acres in brassicas but the weed infestation is making it impossible.

I will be planting Real World soybeans again.Also started a 1/2 acre alfalfa plot in the fall.The beans were great 2 years ago so so great during drought but nothing was.To the post above that was planting RR beans to get rid of pigweed.roundup probably won't do anything to pigweed.I would plant something liberty and use interline herbicide.Soybeans you can plant double amount or spread your rows but beans seem to fill in what they can so like I saw mentioned you plant more they may be smaller so you didn't do anything but buy more seed.

I’ll plant 6 acres of forage beans again and overseed with brassicas and rye. I doubt we’ll grow a single pod because of browsing pressure. I’m planting beans again because I can spray with RR and try to knock the quickweed and lambsquarter back. My preference would be to planting all six acres in brassicas but the weed infestation is making it impossible.

Have you looked into the new Enlist beans? Can use a 2-4d based chemical to get a good kill on the weeds. Eagle makes a new forage variety with the trait. Seems promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be planting Real World soybeans again.Also started a 1/2 acre alfalfa plot in the fall.The beans were great 2 years ago so so great during drought but nothing was.To the post above that was planting RR beans to get rid of pigweed.roundup probably won't do anything to pigweed.I would plant something liberty and use interline herbicide.Soybeans you can plant double amount or spread your rows but beans seem to fill in what they can so like I saw mentioned you plant more they may be smaller so you didn't do anything but buy more seed.
You are missing the point of planting double seed rates. Planting double allows the beans twice the chance to outgrow deer browsing pressure right after emergence at that critical balancing stage where either the beans pop up to a foot high and attain ground coverage, or higher deer populations wipe them out. I have learned through experimenting side-by-side in the same field that more plants equals a higher chance of survival.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

To the post above that was planting RR beans to get rid of pigweed.roundup probably won't do anything to pigweed.

Last year I had mature pigweed in one of my plots, and I smoked it with a healthy dose of 41% gly from TSC. I then came back after the first rain and hit the seedling pigweed with the normal 2 oz. per gallon of water and it burned the small pigweed down. I have no problem killing pigweed with gly, especially when it’s not mature.

I’ve been looking at those soybeans. Could you give a little more detail in your results? Efence, broadcast, drilled, pod holding into winter, etc.?

Going to frost seed a BUNCH of clover this Spring and try and add more varieties to my clover plots. Some white varieties, red, balansa, alsike, etc. My local seed guy puts together a good mix.

I’ve been off corn for a year or two but going to put it back in the rotation in a few plots. Definitely going to do a summer cocktail in some areas (IC peas, Sunnhemp, sunflowers, sorghum, soybeans, etc.) as well.

Going to finish up some “old field management” spots by hitting the remaining fescue again this Spring and seeing what the growing season brings in these spots.

We are going to start planting our firebreaks with mixes right after we complete a burn which should be a neat added feature for the animals.

Lots of logging and tree work hopefully.

Is making the best buck trap in Ohio too lofty? Lol

Some honing of my NY 40 and roughing in my Ohio 75 for first year eval.

Back