Persimmons - ripening time

Native Hunter

All of the native persimmons on my place are very late ripening. I've never seen one that dropped before sometime in November. Over the years I have planted some persimmons from different places and today saw the earliest persimmon I have ever personally witnessed.

This tree was a seedling that I think came from some free trees that the NWTF gave away one time. I got a few of those, and this one (along with a few more) is bearing its first crop. I also got a few from another source about the same time, so not certain if this was one of the NWTF trees or not. I was surprised to find fruit already ripe and falling today. From the softness of the fruit, my guess is that even a week ago you could have eaten them.

For comparison, look how green the fruit is on this native seedling.

Here is another comparison - this is the fruit on a Morris Burton I planted this spring. It is advertised as an early drop persimmon. I can barely see the color beginning to change on it, but you can tell it is probably weeks away from being ripe. However, it will be much earlier than the natives.

So, I'm just curious when you see the first persimmon ripen in your area. I have to believe that my seedling must be one of the very earliest around.

The ones around me usually ripen the end of October to Mid November but I have seen trees still holding persimmons in January.

It has been our history that most trees are dropping strong at opening of bow season, which is Oct 15. But I have some trees that are dropping now. Recently, I changed the location of my cell camera and the corn feeder. The corn is attached to one of the persimmon trees in the area. I began getting pictures but the deer were not at the corn. Then I realized they were eating the persimmons instead of the corn.

pers01.JPG pers02.JPG

Last edited:
It has been our history that most trees are dropping strong at opening of bow season, which is Oct 15. But I have some trees that are dropping now. Recently, I changed the location of my cell camera and the corn feeder. The corn is attached to one of the persimmon trees in the area. I began getting pictures but the deer were not at the corn. Then I realized they were eating the acorns instead of the corn.

View attachment 2921 View attachment 2923

Acorns are falling like rain here right now Lak. So, you have some persimmons dropping now too. That may not be unusual that far south. I'm just not sure.

I start finding scat with seeds around the first of October. I have trees that drop early and some hold on all the way into January

Yeah I had persimmons hanging on into January too. Some dropped in October but some hung on for another 3 months. Very strange. My land is loaded with persimmons thanks to the cows that are out there.

NH, I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of mine drop late. I've not paid as much attention to them as I should, but I do remember seeing trees around my stand loaded each year for our gun season. That's always around the second weekend of November.

I picked up about 5 pounds yesterday at a park in north Kansas City. First attempt at cookies in progress.

Trees at my Mandy Hollow area have been dropping for week or more. Lots of trees are loaded. Also, great to see some nice young trees sticking their heads up above the dog fennel and other weeds in previous pastures that I'm trying to turn into a "thick mess".

Good feedback guys. I noticed two seedling trees today that are within 25 feet of each other. One very ripe and the other very green. The Morris Burton I planted this spring is a little more yellow than last week but still a while off.

Also, I notice one chestnut tree today that has opened half its burs already and most other trees that haven't opened any yet.

My John Rick is dropping right now. Yates will be dropping anytime as well. Great for early season, but i like late droppers better.
Thinking about snipping some wood from a tree in the town park here. Tree is always loaded and falls early mid November. I'd like to graft it.

Back