Persimmon?

Any way to tell if it’s a Japanese persimmon or native?
Tree was short maybe 7 foot tall. Lots of green ones. Can these be planted from seeds in the fruit?

404108b9c70323d387c2bed8b8206aa9.jpg

7d279194d88effffcc9d095cc3906bb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Native stated, I don't think that is an American persimmon. Where you located in Mississippi? I am in south Mississippi, but if you are just looking for seeds, I might be able to guide you to a tree or send you some seeds.

As Native stated, I don't think that is an American persimmon. Where you located in Mississippi? I am in south Mississippi, but if you are just looking for seeds, I might be able to guide you to a tree or send you some seeds.

This tree is at my kid’s school in Ridgeland MS. It’s chock full of green persimmons was going to collect a few and try to germinate

I have some native graph trees that planted last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is hard to tell from the photo due to the lack of a scale. It looks like it could be Fuyu. Asian persimmon leaves are usually larger and glossy compared to our native persimmons. The fruit is usually persistent, not falling from the tree until they are mush. I have yet to find a seed in my Asian persimmons. If you can get permission to collect some scion wood, you can graft it onto native persimmon with good results.

this for headdigger or anyone that has candy and magnet persimmon. i'd be interested in scion from them and others. i can trade other persimmon, chestnut, white oak hybrids, and other seedlings, i also have 60 tree protectors

From the photo, it looks like a Kaki persimmon. I still think that it looks like Fuyu, but without a tag, it will be tough to ID. Thomas, I have Deer Magnet. I'll be glad to share some scion wood with you next Spring. I'm looking for late dropping persimmons and pears. We can do a swap if you have something that I don't have. If you don't, I'll still be glad to send you some Deer Magnet scion wood.

From the photo, it looks like a Kaki persimmon. I still think that it looks like Fuyu, but without a tag, it will be tough to ID. Thomas, I have Deer Magnet. I'll be glad to share some scion wood with you next Spring. I'm looking for late dropping persimmons and pears. We can do a swap if you have something that I don't have. If you don't, I'll still be glad to send you some Deer Magnet scion wood.
Headdigger I have been looking for deer magnet scions, if you have some to spare I would love to do a swap with you, I have pears, the only late dropping pear I have is a gates pears from the wildlife group

Back