peas and deer

shedder

Was scouting a few nights ago and saw a field across the river that looked unfamiliar. It was planted in peas when I checked later. It is rare to see peas here.

Do deer target peas and when?

Was scouting a few nights ago and saw a field across the river that looked unfamiliar. It was planted in peas when I checked later. It is rare to see peas here.

Do deer target peas and when?

Not sure about your area, but in the south, deer target peas of all sorts - from Austrian Winter Peas to Black-eyed peas - when there is foliage on the plant all the way to when there are only mature pods left on the plant. It is hard to grow any type of pea in the south without the deer eating them.

Where I'm at (Minnesota) peas are like beans to deer. You need a few acres for it to have a chance because deer suck them up as fast as they can.

At The Farm, deer hammer them like beans. However, I plant a pea patch at home every year and the deer here won't touch them. They'll walk through them to eat the Florida pusley, okra, morning glory, other weeds, and briars growing near them. It's weird.

At The Farm, deer hammer them like beans. However, I plant a pea patch at home every year and the deer here won't touch them. They'll walk through them to eat the Florida pusley, okra, morning glory, other weeds, and briars growing near them. It's weird.

Same results here as well. Some places will get hit very hard and others not even touched. They are a cheap enough seed to try though. I think I will be trying them in a few different spots once the dozer work is done at end of this month although not sure if they will have enough time to get fully going, seems like everything up there takes an extra week or so to get going unlike here where its germinated in a week

I expected they like them but wanted confirmation on others experience as peas are rare here.

The field is 15 acres but when I check it no deer are in it yet the bean field next to it will have 10-12. Go figure.

Back