Pear grafts

I have found pears have a high success with grafting. I wrap my scions with parafilm tape and use electrical tape for the graft union.

Congrats on your success
Todd

Pear grafts 2016.jpg
Most are over four feet tall already. I used blue painters tape and paraffin this year.

Gator
The scion wood came off a late holding pear I found in the mountains at my place. Same type as the one I gave Jacob when we all met to turkey hunt.

Last edited:
I have found pears have a high success with grafting. I wrap my scions with parafilm tape and use electrical tape for the graft union.

Congrats on your success
Todd

I was 8 for 10 in pear grafts until I moved them to my nursery, they HATE being transplanted, lost all but 2.

Pear trees was big 'ol wooses when their young compared to apple. I do like pears though, they be yummy n deers eatz em too.

I bought mine from Cummins, it was stout caliper say 1/4, the roots were stronger and not spindly like others have reported.

I think If I would have planted them then grafted them later it would have worked much better but the 10 pears I did only 3 survived the transplanting. They were big time wooses compared to apples.

Normal Whip & Tongue, & Cleft. I did not do any saddles on the pears as the calipers like I said were ginormous.

I have to start practicing.... I have an old pear on my place that i really want to graft. Its days are numbered. I really want it to live it. Holds really late, Dec.

Where do you get your root stock? And what stock do you use??
I get the root stock online. Can't remember what is what. Got the potting soil from Lowes. The scion wood came from a tree on my farm that holds the fruit into December. Use tongue and whip graft. Painters tape and paraffin.

here are 2 pear seedlings that were started in 18's then tranferred to 1 gallon air pots last year, October of last year i transferred to 3 gallon root bags and over wintered at home, They were grafted to known varieties last March. Hope to get them planted in their final destination this fall

Back