Paper Mill byproducts - soil amendments?

Chipdasqrrl

I work at a paper mill and there are giants mounds of tree bark mulch after they strip the logs of bark. From what I’ve heard they basically give it away, and even pay people nearby to let them spread it on their land.

Another thing is that there are mounds of wood pulp that looks like it would make great soil- I’m not sure where in the process that comes from.

What are your thoughts on the these two byproducts? Anyone ever used something
Similar? Could I send in the pulp for a soil test? I’ve been thinking about bringing in some truckloads of the bark mulch to put in a new tree planting I’ve got.

I grew up in a papermill town and my Dad has worked at the mill for about 50 years, they use all of that, nothing at all is wasted from a tree. Never heard of a mill not using it.

The bark would make good mulch though. I mean they do sell pine bark nuggets in every home store I've ever been to. Not sure about the pulp.

I grew up in a papermill town and my Dad has worked at the mill for about 50 years, they use all of that, nothing at all is wasted from a tree. Never heard of a mill not using it.

The bark would make good mulch though. I mean they do sell pine bark nuggets in every home store I've ever been to. Not sure about the pulp.

The bark mulch was being traded to a neighboring power plant in return for electricity, but apparently they found a better deal and don’t want it anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I think decomposing bark and pulp is a nitrogen sucker. That's why it's difficult getting a good plot started on a clear-cut loading dock.

If I had a sandy hilly plot that didn't produce, I'd try spreading ladino clover and brassica on it in the fall, and then spread your bark right on top of it. Wood is about as carbon as carbon gets, and should pair nicely with a nitrogen producer like clover. I wanted to test this out this year by spreading some stove wood pellets an inch or two deep in a section of my pure clover and see how it responds. So far I haven't gotten around to it.

Requires A LOT of nitrogen to break down and builds up a tremendous amount of acidity in the soil. Lime it heavy and fertilize and it should be good.

Normally bark sells for $10-15/ton and is burned in the mills boilers to make steam for the mills process

Some integrated mills (with pulp mills) spread lime dregs on fields for farmers. It’s a beneficial use project typically permitted by the states. Helps farmers with lime and keeps it out of the landfill

Normally bark sells for $10-15/ton and is burned in the mills boilers to make steam for the mills process

Some integrated mills (with pulp mills) spread lime dregs on fields for farmers. It’s a beneficial use project typically permitted by the states. Helps farmers with lime and keeps it out of the landfill

Hmm, not sure why they were giving it away at one point then. Guess I’ll have to ask around

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I have paper mill sludge spread on my land. I had to get WI DNR permits to have this done. It is not done every year, only when my fields are not planted and the company that does the spreading has no where closer to take their product. It is a great free amendment to my Central Sands area type soil.
There is a formula based on what crop was grown on the land and a nitrogen credits calculation as to how much can be applied. Also, any neighbor within 500 feet of a field that is being spread must sign off on the process as it really stinks for the first few days. I just had this sludge applied the past few days to about 27 acres of my fields. Thank the late spring planting season for my getting the paper mill sludge this year.
I

Back