Ozone generators

Jeff H

I've always wanted to try one and just purchased a unit to use in my hunting gear closet that is built into the garage. 10000 mg hard wired unit. I figure I can cross utilize for hunting gear and home use (teenager's room).
Anyone else use a non portable unit and what has been your experience ? Any negative side effects?
upload_2020-9-16_11-43-32.png

I literally have the same one. I too use it for my hunting closet and have used it for the house. I don't have to wash my clothes anymore. I personally think it has helped me in my hunting

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I’ve borrowed one of the ones you hang in the tree or blind with you. I think they are great if you can get one that the battery last for an all day sit. I don’t like the extra bulk(they weigh very little). My buddies each built a tote that I use regularly and have noticed the deer pay no attention if they get down wind. Of course, you have to worry about your breath still.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I literally have the same one. I too use it for my hunting closet and have used it for the house. I don't have to wash my clothes anymore. I personally think it has helped me in my hunting

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Any negatives that you have found? Any rubber degrading from over exposure ?

I have one that I use to get odors out of our closed up camper. I also use it when I was at deer camp to deodorize my hunting clothes by hanging them in the camper and turning it on...works great!

Any negatives that you have found? Any rubber degrading from over exposure ?

I haven’t seen any degradation yet, but we have only been using for roughly 3 years. I have heard about rubber degrading, but I have heard different time frames on how long it takes to degrade.

Been using scent crusher closet for few years and haven't noticed any negative effects on most of my clothes. I did have spandex that seemed to go from tight to extremely loose in about 2 weeks. Think it was because of the ozone. I bought 2nd pair same company and haven't had any issues since so thinking they mightve fixed they formula a bit to cater towards the way guys are treating their clothes these days.

I have a similar unit that I’ve been using for three years. I haven’t noticed any degradation in my lacrosse rubber boots. I have noticed that I can overpower my space and that my clothes have an ozone smell to them. I like to use it to kill human odors then air out my clothes outside, then seal them in a tote.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

FWIW I know car detailers use them and have proven useful in the worst of cases (dead cat inside a car). They get the best results with the car windows partly down so that there is air flow. I'm not sure why that would be but apparently that's the standard for auto cleansing.

I've been using a smaller unit (hose discharge) for years on my gear (not in field use) and I am a firm believer.
My usual sequence is to place the gear for the day in a scent free garbage bag and stick the hose in and deodorize in the morning right before the hunt. I also deodorize my rubber boots inside and out. I do think it cuts down on the life span of rubber boots but it is worth it IMO. If I have to buy new boots every 3 or 4 years I figure its just the cost of reducing odor.
I get away with things that I never used to before I started using O3.

Last edited:
I've been using a smaller unit (hose discharge) for years on my gear (not in field use) and I am a firm believer.
My usual sequence is to place the gear for the day in a scent free garbage bag and stick the hose is and deodorize in the morning right before the hunt. I also deodorize my rubber boots inside and out. I do think it cuts down on the life span of rubber boots but it is worth it IMO. If I have to buy new boots every 3 or 4 years I figure its just the cost of reducing odor.
I get away with things that I never used to before I started using O3.

Looks like I may be a little late to the party;)

Looks like I may be a little late to the party;)
O3 is not a magic wand. You still need to minimize as many other odors that you don't treat with O3. Lots of details involved with minimizing odor. And you'll still get busted under the worst conditions (deer in your lap, directly in your scent cone, high humidity).
But your odor on your entrance trails will be much less alarming. Your residual odor will disappear sooner so stands will stay fresh longer. And fringe odor will be less alarming, too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

O3 is not a magic wand. You still need to minimize as many other odors that you don't treat with O3. Lots of details involved with minimizing odor. And you'll still get busted under the worst conditions (deer in your lap, directly in your scent cone, high humidity).
But your odor on your entrance trails will be much less alarming. Your residual odor will disappear sooner so stands will stay fresh longer. And fringe odor will be less alarming, too.

Interesting that you said high humidity. I wonder how many realize that. I learned it from rabbit hunting with dogs in my youth. Those dogs could smell a rabbit in the next county on foggy mornings.

Reactions: Tap
Interesting that you said high humidity. I wonder how many realize that. I learned it from rabbit hunting with dogs in my youth. Those dogs could smell a rabbit in the next county on foggy mornings.
Yep. And lots of guys think rain washes scent away. We used to have a beagle that was an escape artist. He would get loose and run rabbits all night...sometimes in a pouring rain storm. He would come home hours later looking like a drown rat.

We always wanted humidity when quail hunting, trouble was, we were hunting a part of Texas that only had much humidity when it came a good frost. When the sun came up and started melting that frost, my dog could smell birds on the neighbor’s place !:D

In October though, in East Texas, it is tough to bowhunt and it’s mostly because of the humidity and the “light and variable” winds. In Central Texas, where I had my lease, it was a different story. Much easier to bowhunt because of low humidity and consistent wind direction. It definitely plays a large part.

My Ozone generator was delivered two days ago. Before the day was done I had it plugged in and setting in my hunting gear closet that's in the garage. I set it for twenty minutes. The next morning I checked and my clothes still smelled like smoke (I've always used smoke as a odor killer in the past). For those that use these devices what am I doing wrong? I could smell the ozone when I turned it on. Is twenty minutes not long enough for 30 sq feet ? The owners manual is not helpful at all.

We use 2-15 minute cycles in a small tote. We have a small fish tank hose ran into the tote and do one cycle with it in the middle and one cycle on the top with a fluff in between cycles.

My Ozone generator was delivered two days ago. Before the day was done I had it plugged in and setting in my hunting gear closet that's in the garage. I set it for twenty minutes. The next morning I checked and my clothes still smelled like smoke (I've always used smoke as a odor killer in the past). For those that use these devices what am I doing wrong? I could smell the ozone when I turned it on. Is twenty minutes not long enough for 30 sq feet ? The owners manual is not helpful at all.
I've been using it for almost 10 years so take my experiences for what they are worth.
O3 is not a magic bullet. Its just another tool we can use to to reduce odors. Every bit of reduction we can do will help reduce major odor busts. Dont expect that O3, scentlock, sprays, chlorophyll, or anything else will make us odorless to deer. It ain't gonna happen.
But if we reduce deduce our odor by even 30% then our odor busts will go down. And we can't really know what an individual deer tolerates.
So, my experience with O3...it won't eliminate certain odors. I've tried it on that nasty chemical odor of new rubber boots...it didn't help.
It seems like certain odors continue to overpower the ozone. Maybe smoke odor works the same way?? I dont know.
I do know, without a doubt, I am busted far less often than before I used O3. We cant always know if our odor molecules actually reach the downwind deer's nose, but I do know what I see when deer cut my trail...they show little to no reaction. That shows me that O3 is a help to some degree, and I would be nuts to not employ any odor reduction tactic.

Back