Oregon Lithium-Battery Pole Saw

Triple C

Been battling limb creep on many of my interior roads so i decided it was time for a pole saw that used something other than elbow grease for power. I ended up buying the Oregon saw. Put it to use for the 1st time this past Saturday. This thing is a beast of a saw. Wore me out before I wore battery out. One day's use is no indication of what extended use over several years will be so take this for what it's worth. If this thing holds up over and extended period like it did on 1st day of use then it's a winner. Really like it and it is one cutting machine. I'll post more as I use it more. Here's a few pics from Saturday starting with the model I purchased from Amazon.
Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 6.43.31 AM.png
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0433.jpg IMG_0434.jpg IMG_0437.jpg

I hear ya buddy. Been in an all-out war with that myself. I've thrown everything I can at it---elbow grease, battery-powered, and gas. Never-ending battle.

That looks like a nice rig and Oregon has a good name. My Stihl HT56 pole pruner is one of my most valuable tools to keep roads open. I try to walk every road once a year with it, that usually keeps them pretty wide.
ht56ce.png

I have a gas Stihl also, but I'm thinking about selling it and getting an electric. I bought a Greenworks chain saw w/16" bar a month or so ago and I'm pretty impressed so far. Brushless motor, no tools required to adjust chain tension, and it will cut pretty dang well. If the pole saw takes the same battery, and I think it does, I'll have a battery in reserve at all times. In the reviews I read though, almost all mentioned that their arms got tired before the battery gave out.

Been battling limb creep on many of my interior roads so i decided it was time for a pole saw that used something other than elbow grease for power. I ended up buying the Oregon saw. Put it to use for the 1st time this past Saturday. This thing is a beast of a saw. Wore me out before I wore battery out. One day's use is no indication of what extended use over several years will be so take this for what it's worth. If this thing holds up over and extended period like it did on 1st day of use then it's a winner. Really like it and it is one cutting machine. I'll post more as I use it more. Here's a few pics from Saturday starting with the model I purchased from Amazon.
View attachment 12617
View attachment 12618
View attachment 12619 View attachment 12620 View attachment 12621
Always like your toys Triple. We need to devise a way to attach a cutter to a drone and cut as they do power line ROWs from helicopter. Drink your milk and watch it work off its program.

Always like your toys Triple. We need to devise a way to attach a cutter to a drone and cut as they do power line ROWs from helicopter. Drink your milk and watch it work off its program.
HA! i've bought a few toys I'd like to have a re-do on...one being the drone. After bout 5 fly arounds I thought to myself..."Now what am I going to take a picture of that I don't already have". Then I crashed it. So much for that. Then there was the heat sensitive infrared camera attachment for the iPhone to find dead deer. That didn't work out well. Now this thing here...the pole saw is a whole different level of toy. Think I'm going to move it to the "must have" category. I'm liking this thing.

Rethinking the drone deal. Kinda missing the darn thing now. :)

What you need to do is expand on the drone idea and get into remote control airplanes, there's usually a RC club close by. As for the pole saw, I've had a Stihl for almost 20 years. A specialized tool for sure but, comes in handy when needed. What I discovered was that they are very exhausting , but after a while you develop technique and you can extend your user time. I never let people borrow mine because they have no idea how taxing it is so I just volunteer to bring it over and do their work. LOL. Even with the technique's I've come up with I can only get 2-3 hours before I'm done but, the amount of work you can get done in that time is amazing. The battery unit looks like a better solution in a pole saw, greatly reducing the weight.

Wow, that thing looks really awesome. I used two different types of heavy duty trimmers this week and a Steel MS171 to clear brush around some of my planting’s. This saw would have come in handy.

I’m thinking the 6ah version would be worth the extra cheddar, I don’t have power on my place yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

What you need to do is expand on the drone idea and get into remote control airplanes, there's usually a RC club close by. As for the pole saw, I've had a Stihl for almost 20 years. A specialized tool for sure but, comes in handy when needed. What I discovered was that they are very exhausting , but after a while you develop technique and you can extend your user time. I never let people borrow mine because they have no idea how taxing it is so I just volunteer to bring it over and do their work. LOL. Even with the technique's I've come up with I can only get 2-3 hours before I'm done but, the amount of work you can get done in that time is amazing. The battery unit looks like a better solution in a pole saw, greatly reducing the weight.
Buckly...If not for the shoulder strap that comes with the unit it would have worn me out in short order. 13 lbs of unsupported weight gets heavy after a few minutes of use. In cases where I had to detach the shoulder strap to extend the saw to the max to reach higher branches, it seemed to get even heavier as the weight shifted more to the saw end. Using the shoulder strap with an easy clip-on clip made it much more tolerable. On higher branches, eye protection is a must to prevent shavings from getting in your eye.

Wow, that thing looks really awesome. I used two different types of heavy duty trimmers this week and a Steel MS171 to clear brush around some of my planting’s. This saw would have come in handy.

I’m thinking the 6ah version would be worth the extra cheddar, I don’t have power on my place yet.
Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
weekender - If I didn't have power I would definitely opt for the 6ah battery. I was able to charge mine between clean-up of downed branches and saplings. And, I've yet to find out how long it will run on a single charge. I went for bout an hour and still had 2 bars so I'm guessing maybe 1:30 to 1:45 with the 4.0 ah battery.

Quote "I just volunteer to bring it over and do their work" Hey, you could start a good business, there's thousands of miles of woods trails that need trimmed and a lot of lazy people that would rather pay someone to do it for them. Get a few immigrant laborers to follow along behind and throw the brush off the trail.

I'm also protecting my investment. LOL Getting a bar pinched 13 ft up is not a good situation, and is a common occurrence with beginners using adjustable pole saws.

"Guess that'll due for now!" One of a kind, gotta love Hickock45.

Back to topic,my trails are in dire need of a trimming, debating rent versus buy.

Put a couple more hours of use on this thing this past saturday morning. All systems go. It's a cutting fool. I planned to go until the battery died but didn't make it. Still had one bar left on battery when I quit. The clean-up adds about as much time to the job as the sawing. Wear long sleeves n gloves if you have vines n saw briers. Those limbs that are wrapped in saw briers can be nasty to dislodge once cut. Seems there's alway a vine or 2 you don't see when cutting and then have to wrestle them away from the tree.

My stihl has finally bit the dust. I have had to rebuild the carb about every other year and now the crank case is busted. It was one of my favorite tools. I used a buddy's dewalt battery pole saw this weekend and was pretty impressed. I will be pulling the trigger on a battery powered pole saw soon. I liked the angled blade on the dewalt, but its only 20v. I like alot about the Oregon saw, but was hoping it would have an angled blade.

My stihl has finally bit the dust. I have had to rebuild the carb about every other year and now the crank case is busted. It was one of my favorite tools. I used a buddy's dewalt battery pole saw this weekend and was pretty impressed. I will be pulling the trigger on a battery powered pole saw soon. I liked the angled blade on the dewalt, but its only 20v. I like alot about the Oregon saw, but was hoping it would have an angled blade.

Green Works 40V. I have one and love it. The bar is angled too. Amazon has them, even make an 80V if I’m not mistaken.

Green Works 40V. I have one and love it. The bar is angled too. Amazon has them, even make an 80V if I’m not mistaken.
Impressed as well with the only Green Works piece of equipment I own - Green Works Pro 60V blower. Picked this up last year for use at home and love it. Variable speed trigger. Quiet. And plenty of power. Got an old gasser at the farm that I will replace with one of these whenever the gasser gives up the ghost.
Greenworks blower.jpg

Back