One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

One of our chestnuts bloomed this year for the first time, but nothing else happened. Is that normal the first couple years of bloom?

Usually they will start off by only forming catkins for a year. This usually means they are getting ready to start producing and will hopefully set a burr or two the following year. This is not always the case but usually is the way it happens. Production slowly ramps up every year after that.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My chestnuts got sprayed by a careless cropduster. I'm just hoping for survival right now. :(

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Same damn thing happened to me a few years ago! Look up one of my previous posts on Dicamba drift.

Same damn thing happened to me a few years ago! Look up one of my previous posts on Dicamba drift.

Quick summary; what did you do and how did it turn out for you?

The first step is always profanity.......

bill
I did plenty of that but stopped in time to get my camera out and film him spraying the wrong land (and visually confirm direction of drift). Then the kids and I (and our house) got sprayed so the profanity started again. Now there is profanity every time any of us look out the window. :(

I did plenty of that but stopped in time to get my camera out and film him spraying the wrong land (and visually confirm direction of drift). Then the kids and I (and our house) got sprayed so the profanity started again. Now there is profanity every time any of us look out the window. :(

Oh man, not good...

I got the double D dicamba drift this year on some chestnut trees; fortunately, they had some curled leaf edges but came out of it OK with a couple of weeks and some rain. They were several-year-old trees; I wonder what might have happened with newly planted or 1-2 yr old trees?
Dicamba will play hell with your tomato plants as well; doesn't kill them right away, just makes them runts!

Last edited:
Can you believe it? I started these chestnuts in my greenhouse some years back. Not sure exactly when the trees were planted but I have checked them faithfully each year. Today I was amazed when I saw one of the trees. Thanks Wayne....chestnut roasting in my future!

WzUn38q.jpg

That's a great looking tree, Lakngolf! :) The three I have planted across the creek from my house, in Indiana, are only about half that size. My buddy's trees, in southern Indiana are somewhere in-between, I'd say. He's down closer to the KY border.

To give some real perspective, I planted 12 trees on a southeast-facing slope in Antrim County, Michigan, which is just north of the 45th parallel. According to the arborist for this region, this is right at the northern edge of where these trees should grow, if planted up on a ridge or flat where frost doesn't settle. One of them died, but the remaining 11 were planted two and three years ago, respectively. The further down the slope a tree was planted, the slower its growth has been. I'm not sure if it's a soil issue, moisture retention, or perhaps a function of when the first and last frost defines the growing season. The two trees highest up on the finger of ridge I planted them on are growing the fastest. Here is a picture of the one with the most growth.

KPFD9suNopOzZr8IIMRE6raGnWN5gS4Mc257ncJDol3Kz8iWRppWJ8RNaPlf9HRsh232-X1xDujPt-dOadCOlxV4uo6c0P1SNIipAC09XH2yl7c4IYHpiKp3d1vWmNRoex57od0mhjMaHz9SmMg346b3DvOb_xOt8jhOa9yvqJG65K2uYtdrBPAlGs5Cga0RPEMjeNCV6RIycKxfpLlEz-9CIUTY6XeXHFTK4f1hqZY7ABv6OKuCh4awQgszLSvO_PsIuxzZOiDgGhw0iCVF9SkdwejhvX5_yBrsI3ATMYtYMe53nRBYMKl0h7xQwE5ZQCUPVIIYmuHXaQJNkA2M8sd4_7m4-L5-MDk-xKXZFB_8nwyKLBoNsFzvzn3SH624HfwuvFZVakNsqh4Rl8aQBPwLofXzB-B8Wiw420bunuOrpIATz0mfo6iT28Evk1p0L2rNBfkyIXjcxNMuv0GUz6SojY-1BVrFOUKw4KqLftA2f-fBITjZWa7_xPNpHCLZx9DqsWh9jnSnfNuD9f7xeDMgl0jHuVn9ZRXbN6Ew-TvVU5SvUmLnWV30HPHBond_g4nJ4ldErfoygnDK-RzmkoXbaTzWUNlGL1sjiAo-bJ7XHSFlhClggI47LCyxd1IRY6-tY4LXiBLZ-7PHK9pRjHDGiQu8NMWGAjL8i2c7bSlQLatEbJN2sJi_-ZYR=w522-h657-no

view

Last edited:
Hello to All My Chinese Chestnut Forum Friends,

I have been inactive for too long. Today I walked my yard to checkout my trees I planted in town. 4 out of 5 chinese chestnuts are going to give me viable Chinese Chestnuts. The best one is the tree I am standing beside in my avatar. I have 2 DCO that appear they will produce viable nuts this time. They are not as old as my chestnut trees.

Lakngulf I have three sawtooth oaks that are like stair steps even though they were started together. One of these has acorns forming. I was fortunate to receive two good timely rains last week which helped things take a big jump here.

I would love to hear from anyone that has Chinese Chestnut trees that have burs now where you got the chestnuts from me.

I have shipped over 300 orders over the years. It makes me happy to know all of the chestnuts I collected and shared are helping the whitetail deer herd in multiple states. Of course the habitat folks on this forum deserve credit for what has been accomplished too.

Personally, I believe each of habitat folks understand we need to leave the land in better shape than we found it. I suffered a mild heart attack on June 2, 2020. I have worked very hard to restore my health. I am happy to report those efforts have improved my health.

Hello to All My Chinese Chestnut Forum Friends,

I have been inactive for too long. Today I walked my yard to checkout my trees I planted in town. 4 out of 5 chinese chestnuts are going to give me viable Chinese Chestnuts. The best one is the tree I am standing beside in my avatar. I have 2 DCO that appear they will produce viable nuts this time. They are not as old as my chestnut trees.

Lakngulf I have three sawtooth oaks that are like stair steps even though they were started together. One of these has acorns forming. I was fortunate to receive two good timely rains last week which helped things take a big jump here.

I would love to hear from anyone that has Chinese Chestnut trees that have burs now where you got the chestnuts from me.

I have shipped over 300 orders over the years. It makes me happy to know all of the chestnuts I collected and shared are helping the whitetail deer herd in multiple states. Of course the habitat folks on this forum deserve credit for what has been accomplished too.

Personally, I believe each of habitat folks understand we need to leave the land in better shape than we found it. I suffered a mild heart attack on June 2, 2020. I have worked very hard to restore my health. I am happy to report those efforts have improved my health.
Good to hear from you Wayne!

Glad you're doing well after the heart trouble.

I'll try and get you some pics. You have some nice chestnut trees over this way.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Glad you are better, I had no idea. There are some chestnuts alive and well in KS due to your efforts. Thanks!

I am looking for some teachers that would like to help students grow chinese chestnuts as a school / class project. In the past we have done that and I am interested in helping a new batch of students learn the excitement of seeing a tree grow that will benefit the whitetail deer and turkeys.

I am willing to spend $100 of my money to promote this project. I am retired and want to give back to future generations regardless of where they live.

Thanks
Wayne Pruett (Portland, TN)

I am looking for some teachers that would like to help students grow chinese chestnuts as a school / class project. In the past we have done that and I am interested in helping a new batch of students learn the excitement of seeing a tree grow that will benefit the whitetail deer and turkeys.

I am willing to spend $100 of my money to promote this project. I am retired and want to give back to future generations regardless of where they live.

Thanks
Wayne Pruett (Portland, TN)
I'll take some. We still grow sawtooths every yr in rootmakers vs student designed pots (after they learn the 4 inch rule and air pruning mechanisms). Haven't done chestnuts in a long time. I'll pay shipping so you don't have to spend any of your money. I have to warn you... they don't grow well here. I have trees from the original shipment of nuts you sent me that are only 3-4' tall. Caged and babied, but struggling. I hope to see a nut on one someday.

Back