Ohio gun season

MK111

Ohio gun season came in today 11-28-16. I hunt on my own farm with a Landowners Permit.
I have a insulated tower facing my food plot and the neighbors hay field I have permission to shoot in.
At 7:30 a doe and 2 fawns came from the north and fed in the turnips and clover plots. Then a 3rd fawn came off the neighbors woods and fed in the clover.
Pretty soon the doe and 2 fawns are walking past me at 30 yds in the neighbor's hay field. But then I remembered I forgot to purchase a deer tag so just watched them walk away. They had no idea I was there.
At 11:30 a doe and fawn came from the north and fed in the turnips, clover and oats. I wasn't going to shoot but when the doe came within 35 yds and broadside I dropped the Marlin 45-70 hammer on her and she dropped in her tracks.
I gave the deer to a friend who has Parkinson and can't hunt.
A good fun morning and now it's a light rain. So I'll go out in the morning and try to fill a buck tag.

Nice work on the doe !

Not knowing fully the OH deer tag other than my NR one. What do you mean, I didn't shoot because I forgot to buy a deer tag? Then next paragraph I wasn't gonna shoot, then I dropped her ?

Bummer about the weather today for your guys' opener :(

Nice work on the doe !

Not knowing fully the OH deer tag other than my NR one. What do you mean, I didn't shoot because I forgot to buy a deer tag? Then next paragraph I wasn't gonna shoot, then I dropped her ?

Bummer about the weather today for your guys' opener :(
I am a little confused too mk111. Did you run out and buy a tag in between deer sightings:p

You can buy license online in Ohio. I bought mine over the counter but my son and our friend bought theirs online.

I hunted today in Ohio as a non-resident. Saw 4 bucks and 4 does in two sits. I left the woods at noon and returned at 2 pm. Got wet in the last half of pm hunt.

Tomorrow we go again.
Wayne

I understood that he couldn't shoot it because with his landowners permit he could only shoot on his Side and not in the neighbors hay field?

I understood that he couldn't shoot it because with his landowners permit he could only shoot on his Side and not in the neighbors hay field?

Yep, I have been in the same scenario. But with a really big buck. It sucked! Now I buy a license every year.

Sorry for the confusion. I can hunt on my property without paying hunting licence or a deer tag and just use a Landowner Tag.
In order to shoot onto my neighbors property I need to buy a hunting licence and a deer tag. I always buy a hunting licence and deer tag but just forgot, Now I have both tags.

I hunted the Wednesday after I shot the doe for my friend and passed on the small doe with the injured front leg. Only deer I seen in 11 hrs. Got business doing my contract work didn't really have a itch to go back out hunting.

This county has a 2 deer limit with only 1 buck permitted.

Ohio has 2 bonus days gun season 2 weeks after gun season and that is this weekend.
So I walked out in freezing rain at 6:45 AM this morning and had to cross a iced over creek. I only have about 1000 ft to walk to my hunting tower but it was ice the whole way.

I settled in and after day light I turned the heater on. It rained light and heavy all day. Seen no deer until 5:15 when a buck came out of my woods at 125 yds and started feeding in the clover. He fed to the North away from me and at 150 yds it now 5:20 and he getting further away. So I figured it now or never as he was broadside to me. I'm shooting a Marlin 45-70 with handloaded Hornady Levermatic bullets. It's sighted in for 200 yds so at 150 yds its about 6" high. I put the cross hair on his brisket and fired from the window sill rest. At the shot he kicked and ran to the South about 100 yds and lays down facing me. So I aimed for his chest at ground level and at the shot he rolls over and kicked couple times. Walked over to him then walked back to the house to get my UTV to drag him out. It started raining hard and rained the whole when I field dressed him and when I got back to the house to wash him out. Still raining now 3 hrs later. Good thing I got the buck today as I doubt with all the rain and snow melting I wouldn't be able to get across the creek tomorrow.

That ends my season with a nice doe and a 9 pt mature buck. I gave the buck to my nephew who lives up the road and always drops everything when I ask for help.

Pictures will have to wait till my nephew brings back the head. It's raining rather hard and it's dark.

I just bought a 3500 lb electric winch for the UTV. Next year I will have a rack made on the back of the UTV that I can winch the deer up so I can field dress and haul it out without bending over. That will help the old 73 yr old bad back and I won't any help.

Last edited:
Back