Official timber harvest/logging thread

I’ve got a logger lined up to start next month pending weather. He’s starting on a 35 acre SW aspect hardwood block. I’m planning to put that section in a fairly high fire return interval once he’s finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a logger lined up to start next month pending weather. He’s starting on a 35 acre SW aspect hardwood block. I’m planning to put that section in a fairly high fire return interval once he’s finished.

We found it beneficial to let a hw stand put up water sprouts the next spring after the clear-cut and then spray them with herbicide. The root systems are full of energy that they use to push water sprouts. When you spray them they don't get the benefit of the energy those leave would return. This also give some time for the fuel load to decay a bit before the first burn. A growing season burn will do a better job of reducing any regenerating hardwood stem count than a dormant season burn. You may need a more experienced burner to execute a growing season burn well.

We found it beneficial to let a hw stand put up water sprouts the next spring after the clear-cut and then spray them with herbicide. The root systems are full of energy that they use to push water sprouts. When you spray them they don't get the benefit of the energy those leave would return. This also give some time for the fuel load to decay a bit before the first burn. A growing season burn will do a better job of reducing any regenerating hardwood stem count than a dormant season burn. You may need a more experienced burner to execute a growing season burn well.

Definitely. Poplar is the dominant species in this stand and they’re aggressive stump spouters. There will be lots of poplar seeds that will take advantage of the plentiful sun too. I doubt I’ll get away with fire only.

We had an area of low quality hardwoods that we wanted to keep in early succession with prescribed fire. There was a creek crossing that was problematic for equipment. We spent a few hundred dollars on a culvert pipe. It was the first project with the mini-excavator I purchased for habitat projects. It worked out well.

We used a dozer to put in our initial breaks, but once they are in, we just use a tractor with a heavy fire disk to maintain them. We hit them with the disk right before fire. When we burn large areas in the tens to hundreds of acres, we want to have a dozer on site. With smaller burns in the 5-10 acre range with good breaks, we don't have a dozer on site.

The only issue there is I had a delineation survey done when I first bought the property and they said I could build a bridge across the creek as long as it was bank to bank. Anything within the creek banks would require approval from the Army Corps of Engineers and it didn’t sound like it would be easy to get.

The only issue there is I had a delineation survey done when I first bought the property and they said I could build a bridge across the creek as long as it was bank to bank. Anything within the creek banks would require approval from the Army Corps of Engineers and it didn’t sound like it would be easy to get.

That sucks. It is very time consuming and costly to deal with the Corps. My current house sits on waterfront and things are getting ridiculous. Between the county, the Corps, and some wetland commission, you need 20 mother-may-I approvals to replace a board on a dock.

That sucks. It is very time consuming and costly to deal with the Corps. My current house sits on waterfront and things are getting ridiculous. Between the county, the Corps, and some wetland commission, you need 20 mother-may-I approvals to replace a board on a dock.

lol, agreed!

Back