Odd jobs you've done.

Merle Hawggard

I helped a friend change out one of the antennas and tower lights after his two way radio tower had been struck by lightning back in the 90's.
It was a 300' high rohn tower, 200' heavy guage then lightweight the last 100'.
That was a bit of a headache since I had to adjust the jib pole 200' up every time I scaled it.
As you can see I climbed it in cowboy boots lol! This was near Crockett AR. The old tower is down now, pretty sure a storm got it a couple of years ago.
What odd jobs have you all done?
94371dd8fb0a54b39ee484f7074fa94e.jpg
4ca903cc53ff19017641b35c94ca5a8f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Pretty cool but no thanku on the height. Cowboy boots are prob not OSHA regs !! I’ve got a few stories to add when get time but my SIL is an engineer that inspects and then redesigns towers in need of repair. I think the highest he’s done is pushing 1000 ft. He says most don’t have climbing ladders and climbing the angle iron is a killer. This is a shorter tower of 600 ft I think and it took them over an hour each way.
3bedabb27395d3fcd5344dd73cf01b17.jpg

e651688dbc641a8d87a14fca255bd25f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool but no thanku on the height. Cowboy boots are prob not OSHA regs !! I’ve got a few stories to add when get time but my SIL is an engineer that inspects and then redesigns towers in need of repair. I think the highest he’s done is pushing 1000 ft. He says most don’t have climbing ladders and climbing the angle iron is a killer. This is a shorter tower of 600 ft I think and it took them over an hour each way.
3bedabb27395d3fcd5344dd73cf01b17.jpg

e651688dbc641a8d87a14fca255bd25f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that's a climb!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Worst actual professional job I ever had was working in an Iron foundry. It was just flat out dangerous. Molten iron at 3,000 degrees will burn a hole straight thru you if it gets on you because the fluids in your body won't cool fast enough. It's also hot enough that if it's spilled on concrete the moisture in the concrete will vaporize and cause the concrete to explode like a bomb! We had 100 to 150 molten ton on hand at all times.... 3,000 degrees is hot enough that it you went to toss an apple into it the apple will never actually touch the metal - the moisture in it simply vaporizes from the heat before it ever actually reaches the molten material. They melted with electricity as well, so the shear amount of power was just crazy. In the summer we had the local utility company ask us to back off because we could cause local brown outs. Ever seen a fuse as big around as a soda can and about as long as your arm? We had cabinets that you had to avoid because it would mess up your cell phone and make the hair on your arm stand up from the magnetic field it created. We had our own sub-station. I almost lost the 4 fingers on my right hand there...after that episode I realized I didn't spend 4 years in college to be actually hurt by my job to that extent. That was the one job I refused to allow my wife to see where I worked. There was actually someone killed a few years after I left!!!

I’ve hung a whole bunch of those towers, mostly Pi-Rod, monopoles and lattice, nose bleed guyed towers. Built offshore drilling rigs in Singaporean, Korean and Chinese Shipyards. I could write a book about all the near misses and near deaths. Nowadays my heart rate goes up just cleaning the gutters. Kinda miss being young, dumb and bulletproof

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back