NYS Biologists would like to ban the use of deer unrine/scents as they fear cronic wasting disease.

CTM1

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...cle_8aebf610-176f-5e98-8c35-48455016e025.html

"ALBANY — Deer hunters who like to lure their quarry with a dab of eau de doe-in-rut will have to find another way to attract a trophy buck in New York if state wildlife biologists have their way.

Proposed regulations would add New York to a growing list of states and Canadian provinces banning deer urine lures in an effort to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease, a deadly brain infection that's working its way through North American deer, elk and moose populations.

The disease is similar to so-called mad cow disease, which affects cattle. Both diseases are caused by infectious proteins called prions, which are believed to be shed in saliva, feces and urine and can contaminate forage plants and build up in soil."

So if deer congregate in food plots which leads to more feces being dropped will the state move to ban food plots under the claim they are an unnecessary attractant. What is next in this insane state crop fields.
I guess if they ban it I will just keep urinating in my own mock scrapes.

NY Biologists really leave me scratching my head at times!

Last edited:
http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...cle_8aebf610-176f-5e98-8c35-48455016e025.html

"ALBANY — Deer hunters who like to lure their quarry with a dab of eau de doe-in-rut will have to find another way to attract a trophy buck in New York if state wildlife biologists have their way.

Proposed regulations would add New York to a growing list of states and Canadian provinces banning deer urine lures in an effort to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease, a deadly brain infection that's working its way through North American deer, elk and moose populations.

The disease is similar to so-called mad cow disease, which affects cattle. Both diseases are caused by infectious proteins called prions, which are believed to be shed in saliva, feces and urine and can contaminate forage plants and build up in soil."

So if deer congregate in food plots which leads to more feces being dropped will the state move to ban food plots under the claim they are an unnecessary attracted . What is next in this insane state crop fields.
I guess if they ban it I will just keep urinating in my own mock scrapes.

NY Biologists really leave me scratching my head at times!

No offense but outside of this forum, I rarely hear too many comments coming out of NY that don't leave me scratching my head. Granted, most of these comments originate out of NYC......

State agencies have been playing fast and loose with CWD's gray "science" and response tactics and they've burned up trust in some states. There is no consensus on what is a viable response to controlling the disease, or whether it should even be controlled. There doesn't seem to be much worry once you get west of the MO River.

The current belief set can be hijacked and taken in any direction by anyone with an imagination. Where trust gets lost is when an agency doesn't connect their own dots when they claim to take action.

Virginia banned them a couple of years ago. All of these natural urines are from deer farms which is where CWD originated.

Somebody has to decide if the science matters or not. We know that none of it is actual science, or it would stand up to peer review. We're operating on correlations and likelihoods. But the game agencies aren't applying their version of the science consistently. This has been the beef in MN all along. They claim to be fighting CWD, but the only thing they're really doing is killing as many deer as they can. The mitigation plan beyond that is a joke.

-They issued a press release banning the import of cervid parts into MN.
-They did not leverage the state patrol and border county sheriffs on people who get pulled over crossing into MN with cervid parts.
-There was no border billboard campaign helping to spread the message, youtube, twitter, nothing.
-They were caught red handed dumping TESTED CWD carcasses on public land outside Rochester, where scavengers could eat them up and ensure the prions move and live on.
-There is no disposal protocol for carcasses taken in CWD monitoring zones.
-There is no soil containment plan for CWD positive farms.
-There is no manure plan for cervid farms.
-Urines are still legal in MN.
-Venison donation programs still exist around the country and I promise you those animals aren't being tested before they're fed to the poor.
-University of Calgary has found CWD meat can infect macau monkeys, the closest of the animal kingdom to humans. We're all still eating it.

So, I don't know what's going on in every state, but someone has to decide whether the science matters or not. Until then, this is either an exploitation or humongous tragedy. It sure isn't a well thought out mitigation plan.

Typical knee jerk politics. Shame really especially seeing game agencies responding so inappropriately. I find it fascinating also how so many wants to point their finger at those evil deer breeders. OK, what about the countless university programs with captive cervid programs? What do they do thats different? And their deer are transported all over the country. In fact, a PHD from Ms. State is in many ways the founder of captive deer breeding industry throughout the U.S. QDMA even gave him their highest honors yet in their next breath condemn deer breeding. Hypocrisy at its worst.

I've warned all my deer that licking grooming, urinating when they get up from bedding and other inappropriate behaviors must cease at once.

Typical knee jerk politics.

I've warned all my deer that licking grooming, urinating when they get up from bedding and other inappropriate behaviors must cease at once.

How are you going to punish those that do not listen :p

How do you know, or how could you ever prove what actually was in a deer lure. Is there some scientific way to prove it's deer urine or if it's from some other animal like a cow.

Back