No lime spreader.... my make shift plan

I've spread quite a bit of ag lime by hand and would gladly spend $1000 on a drop spreader.

I can get ag lime really cheap from a local quarry. Comes in 50lbs bags on pallets and has a really high effective neutralizing value.

I did the math based on the soil test and spread the bags out on the plot. Busted them open with a shovel and threw them over my shoulder and dumped them out as evenly as possible on the surrounding area. It worked well, but it was hard work and took a long time. I can get lime trucks to some areas, but they can't make it where I need lime the most.

A drop spreader is high on the equipment list. I've also considered a 3pt with a tumbler in the bottom to keep the lime flowing. I don't think that would work well though.

Ag/quarry lime will work in a drop spreader, but it has to be bone dry. I have asked the loader operator to try and load dry stuff. You have your best luck with getting dry material in July.

I would stick to 2 tons or so per acre per application. I also agree with widening the trail of possible.
There is nothing you can do to come close to the accuracy of spreading with a truck.
I would consider going with pellitized lime and spending a little more to achieve even spreading results.

This is bagged ag lime. I just spread the bags by hand. It is not that bad and do all 7 of my small plots that way in rotation, my 5 acre destination plot gets 10 tons spread by the co-op truck. DSCN6290.JPG DSCN6288.JPG ead by a co-op truck.

Go to southern states buy bulk 140 a ton I think in my area. Use there fertilizer buggy spread and return. That's 560 dollars spread for your 4 acres.

Couple of different things here. If I am not mistaken pelletized lime will actually work a lot faster than ag lime. I believe this is because the lime has been pulverized then put back together in pellet form so it breaks down faster(3 months instead of 6 months for ag lime?) Also if you can get hot lime this will work as well as pelletized lime and break down just as quick and is sometimes free. I believe hot lime is a byproduct of making bricks if I remember what a farmer told me. There is a place in Lawrenceville, VA where you can get it for free by the 2 ton bag if I recall correctly. You don't want to use solu-cal as a long term lime solution because it only last for a small amount of time. Solu-cal is a quick fix but will not change your pH long term.

My plan for liming and fertilizing this year is to make my roads wider so I can rent a lime/fertilizer spreader buggy at the coop and put it to it. bulk fertilizer and lime are cheaper but if you don't have that option then the pelletized works just fine but is more expensive to lime large areas.

Problem solved!!! I got a spreader today! 5' that's seems to work good!

c5ff713000b3069c3447c9b813cfc435.jpg

I was a happy fella driving home today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many a ton of lime has been spread with a broadcast spreader. See if you can find a quarry that has wet lime. It's not a simple spread, You might need a second person to carry a 2 x 4 to scrape inside and bang on the outside, but it's doable,

Many a ton of lime has been spread with a broadcast spreader. See if you can find a quarry that has wet lime. It's not a simple spread, You might need a second person to carry a 2 x 4 to scrape inside and bang on the outside, but it's doable,

Thanks bud, but please see the post above yours. I picked up a 5'er today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back