new

Mitch

Hello everyone.....i've ended up here after the QDMA forum closed doors and saw way too much bickering on All Things Habitat. I just want to learn about food plots, deer and trees. Plain and simple. I see enough childish behavior in the middle school students I teach. No need to deal with it from adults on a hunting forum. So here I am. Hoping to learn something here and not witness grown adults argue.

Sooooooo.....that being said lol

I have some young bur oak trees and chestnut trees that are in 1 gallon rootmakers. When they eventually go dormant, do you need to continue to water them through the dormant season? What kind of care, if any is needed in the dormant season. The chestnut trees are maybe 2.5 feet tall and I believe they are 2 years old. Can they be planted this fall or winter? Are they ready?

Thanks,
Mitch

Welcome to the site Mitch. You must be talking about a few of the guys I remember from the old place that always seemed to do their best to start an argument. I know them well. I have not seen any of that stuff here and I haven't missed it a bit. There will be someone along very soon to answer your questions for you. I think you have found a new home here.

Glad to see you made it Mitch...I was wondering if you would be along.

On your tree questions I believe the root system still grows somewhat in the dormant season so I would think they would still need some moisture. I don't believe it would be anything like you have to do in the summertime but a shot of water every 3-4 weeks would probably get them by just fine I would think...

Welcome Mitch - when I grew potted trees - even when dormant the soil has to remain moist otherwise the roots dry out and that isn't good for the health of the tree. They don;t require the attention like the do when they are growing, but just don;t forget about them either.

Great info fellas. That's what I was wondering. Keeping these things alive in this ridiculous Texas heat was a struggle but I think I've managed enough from the pro's on the forum to keep them alive. lol
I was going to take this year off from collecting bur oaks and throwing them in the fridge but I sure have enjoyed the process even though it was a lot of work at times. Labor of love I guess. We won't be moving to our land for 10 years so hopefully by then I have a good crop of trees growing.

Mitch,

Glad you arrived here. In ten years you can have a great hunting farm!!!! One of the best lessons I learned this year - how to shade my trees during the heat wave we had. My town had high temps for many days in a row but we had a wet summer too.

I have burlap that was given to me and I used it effectively to reduce the hot afternoon sun. GraceNmercy is from the Houston Area and he knows how to shade trees in Texas.

As I said in the pm - plant 5 of those Portland TN Chestnuts this late fall and plant the runt (the 6th one) in the Spring.

Glad to have a teacher on here!!!

Turkey Creek,

Mitch is a man of many faces: teaches in Texas, has ground in Oklahoma and roots for the Huskers!

Us southern boys are loyal to a fault and less open minded.

My nurseryman father in law would say "heel them in". That pretty much meant lay them on their side and cover with mulch ,outside.

Turkey Creek,

Mitch is a man of many faces: teaches in Texas, has ground in Oklahoma and roots for the Huskers!

Us southern boys are loyal to a fault and less open minded.
hahaha.....grew up in Iowa. I'm bass-akwards, I know.

Mitch,

Glad you arrived here. In ten years you can have a great hunting farm!!!! One of the best lessons I learned this year - how to shade my trees during the heat wave we had. My town had high temps for many days in a row but we had a wet summer too.

I have burlap that was given to me and I used it effectively to reduce the hot afternoon sun. GraceNmercy is from the Houston Area and he knows how to shade trees in Texas.

As I said in the pm - plant 5 of those Portland TN Chestnuts this late fall and plant the runt (the 6th one) in the Spring.

Glad to have a teacher on here!!!
Great info....does the burlap lay on the ground sort of as a tree mat? How exactly do you use the burlap?

The area I have my trees gets morning and until about noon sun. After that they are in the shade. Seems to have worked okay. Kept them out of the hot baking afternoon sun. I end up watering about every 2 days or so.

The burlap acts as a hood on the protective cage. I got a photo of Allegheny Chinkapin in my yard.Allegheny Chinkapin with Burlap Hood.JPG

I use bulldog clips and small cable ties to keep it in place. Air can go thru the burlap so we get good circulation to avoid a hot box. Rain goes thru it. Sunlight is reduced thru it. I just cut the burlap with scissors to fit the situation.

Hope this helps. I could make it more vertical if I need that for a taller seedling.

Welcome Mitch. I just mulch my potted trees real heavy with leaves and old hay to protect the roots from freezing and water them once a week (unless it rains).

Mitch,

Celebration Time for you 'Husker Fans. 35-32 over the Ducks!

Buy a lottery ticket while your lucky streak is working. Congrats on a big win.

hahaha.....a big win for sure! The program needed that. I plan on storing my trees in the garage over the winter, that should be enough to protect them shouldn't it? We rarely get below freezing in Ft. Worth where my trees are located. Sitting in the garage though, they won't get any sun. Will that be a problem?

Back