New woodland plot planted

Chestnut Valley Farms

New woodland plot. Calling it 3 ridges due to a few ridges all merging together here creating a nice level spot. An good soil too! This was our most productive stand last fall with multiple mature buck opportunities. Went EL CheapO on this one with planting WW alone. Think it's to late for clover so will frost seed in March. Spread out the cost as well lol! This habitat stuff gets expensive! Maybe i should start billing my hunters!
Got big plans for this plot. Chestnuts, Chinese chinquapins, and a few pears on the far border. May slip in a few DCO's as well:)
Excited about this one
IMG_1097.JPG IMG_1098.JPG

Not be ugly but it was already a great stand, but why change it?

Lots of reasons!

It was primarily a good rut stand before

Trying to spread doe groups and bucks out. Of our 287 acres only 10ish is feild. My place is a giant ticket. White oaks are a dime a dozen. Deer die of old age in these parts.
Trying to suck old bucks out of their security cover!
All my current plots are in bottom feild and that's where all the critters head to feed; including turkeys in the spring. Makes it tough hunting.
Every one wants to hunt the bottom feild because you see deer.
To many deer feeding in one place makes it easy to get busted.
Also Mature bucks don't like to feed with large numbers of deer in my experience. Excluding chasing phase of the rut.

Plus I need a place to plant all the trees I have been growing and grafting:)

Wow Jordan....a giant thicket where deer die of old age, what tough issue to have. I'll send you some wide open, well drained, ag space if you send me some of that oak thicket!!!!:D

I just spread some clover to fill in some plots yesterday......I know it won't make much this year, but come next spring I hope it fills in well.

Place looks pretty awesome.

Lots of reasons!

It was primarily a good rut stand before

Trying to spread doe groups and bucks out. Of our 287 acres only 10ish is feild. My place is a giant ticket. White oaks are a dime a dozen. Deer die of old age in these parts.
Trying to suck old bucks out of their security cover!
All my current plots are in bottom feild and that's where all the critters head to feed; including turkeys in the spring. Makes it tough hunting.
Every one wants to hunt the bottom feild because you see deer.
To many deer feeding in one place makes it easy to get busted.
Also Mature bucks don't like to feed with large numbers of deer in my experience. Excluding chasing phase of the rut.

Plus I need a place to plant all the trees I have been growing and grafting:)
One mans problem is another mans wishes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Come on down an join the party guys! Heavy logging going on down in these parts. Lots of ground for sale. Ground can be had at a reasonable price. Plenty of deer but tough to hunt. To much cover. These deer are much cagier than ag deer. They smell a boot track and I don't think they stop running for a mile!

Wow Jordan....a giant thicket where deer die of old age, what tough issue to have. I'll send you some wide open, well drained, ag space if you send me some of that oak thicket!!!!:D

I just spread some clover to fill in some plots yesterday......I know it won't make much this year, but come next spring I hope it fills in well.

Place looks pretty awesome.

Tks J
I think if I wanted cover asap I would plant native grasses an sawtooth oaks. Man those sawtooths grow fast!
If I can get a good rain an my schedule to line up I may sow some clover into this plot.

Come on down an join the party guys! Heavy logging going on down in these parts. Lots of ground for sale. Ground can be had at a reasonable price. Plenty of deer but tough to hunt. To much cover. These deer are much cagier than ag deer. They smell a boot track and I don't think they stop running for a mile!
I can understand you on the deer running for miles. Where I hunt it is entirely mature timber with no ag around. I swear deer not only have a 6th sense but a 7th as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Great looking plot. Hope it greens up nice for you. Did you do that with a 4 wheeler?

The woodland plot has performed well!
Lil brother just killed in it 30 min ago! That makes 2 mature bucks in less than 2 wks! First bucks killed off the farm in 3 seasons of hunting! We have a new formula to success! That being back off the destination feed feild and hunt the hidey hole woodland plots!
Lil bros kill. 3 yr history with this buck we called wacky rack! Believe him to be 5.5 yr old. Pics don't do justice. He is a tall tine big woods ridge runner! Got 2 stickers off the back as well! Very happy for my kid brother! Passing the lil ones has paid off!
IMG_1475.JPG
IMG_1476.JPG

My bow kill buck same plot Nov 4th
4.5 130" 8
IMG_1384.JPG
IMG_1385.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
Update
Frost seeded this plot with clover/alfalfa/chicory mix. It's was really starting to come in nice a few wks ago. Can't wait to get back down to check on it. We also planted several Asian pears and dolgo craps in the back sunny corner. I predict many more deer will fall in this spot!
IMG_2402.JPG
IMG_2405.JPG
IMG_2404.JPG

Back