New to rifle hunting for deer

I bought a Big Bore 94 when they first appeared in 1978. Since I mostly hunted in thick cover the .375 Winchester in 250 grain persuasion appealed to me. I eventually had to put a scope on it so I had my gunsmith install a pistol scope in front of the bolt. It worked well, and it still does. I haven’t used it in years, but I need to break it out and at least kill a hog with it.

All that was old becomes new again. Making me think I need to break that Ithica deerslayer back out again.
I had an early Ithaca Deerslayer with a removable barrel. Since the scope was solid mounted on the receiver and the barrel was loose the point of impact would change daily. So I cranked the barrel as tight as I could, which actually put a noticeable upward curve in the barrel due the magazine cap lug screw tightening forward, I then decided that it was time to move it on. Cantilever scope mounts for slug guns arrived on the scene shortly thereafter, taking care of a very real problem. Then Savage brought out a 20 ga. Model 210 bolt action, making cantilevered scope mounts obsolete. Then recently regulations started allowing straight wall cartridges in many slug areas, making slug guns obsolete. Talk about a merry-go-round of technology and regulations...

I bought a Big Bore 94 when they first appeared in 1978. Since I mostly hunted in thick cover the .375 Winchester in 250 grain persuasion appealed to me. I eventually had to put a scope on it so I had my gunsmith install a pistol scope in front of the bolt. It worked well, and it still does. I haven’t used it in years, but I need to break it out and at least kill a hog with it.
Model 94! Ahh, the good old days when everything was simpler, including firearms choices. My friends all started with with scoped Marlin 336's in 30-30, .357(1894C), .44, .35, and .444, but my dad bought me a Winchester Model 94 in .32 special, which wasn't special at all, since it had identical ballistics to a 30-30, however, it was very special to me, I would sit totally still and hold that gun for hours, and that was in my room, two months before the season opened. I could hit a wall sized target at 80 yards free handed with open sights. I killed my first buck with it the first season that I had it, I still have that gun today, and it's not for sale.

Last edited:
I have 2 deerslayer actually a 12 and a 20 gauge both wear peep sights as the cover I hunt is thick and shots come fast and at short range. Never had need for a scope which is probably why all my rifles wear low power scopes.

I had an early Ithaca Deerslayer with a removable barrel. Since the scope was solid mounted on the receiver and the barrel was loose the point of impact would change daily. So I cranked the barrel as tight as I could, which actually put a noticeable upward curve in the barrel due the magazine cap lug screw tightening forward, I then decided that it was time to move it on. Cantilever scope mounts for slug guns arrived on the scene shortly thereafter, taking care of a very real problem. Then Savage brought out a 20 ga. Model 210 bolt action, making cantilevered scope mounts obsolete. Then recently regulations started allowing straight wall cartridges in many slug areas, making slug guns obsolete. Talk about a merry-go-round of technology and regulations...

I killed a couple deer with slugs back in the day. I had a Remington 12 gauge auto, (precursor to the 1100), that I had the barrel lopped and rifle sights installed. With the old Foster slugs it was good to 50 yards, even 75 most days. I know this, a one ounce slug will put them down with authority !

A one ounce slug from a lightweight shotgun will teach you how important proper shooting form and trigger control actually are. It will also make quite an impression on your shoulder and cheek if improper form is used. After a few seasons with slug guns the 30-06 felt like a pussycat.

A one ounce slug from a lightweight shotgun will teach you how important proper shooting form and trigger control actually are. It will also make quite an impression on your shoulder and cheek if improper form is used. After a few seasons with slug guns the 30-06 felt like a pussycat.
I agree that 12 ga. recoil is a real kicker, but 444 Marlin is right up there or above a 12 ga slug for felt recoil. The one thing, a 12 ga will often have a better recoil pad, than a 444 Marlin.

According to Chuck Hawks recoil chart the 444 with 265 grain bullet at 2365fps in a 7.5 lb rifle recoil energy is 27.6 for a 12 gauge shotgun at 7 lbs shooting a 1 ounce slug generates 33fpe. Once you get above 25 for you will definitely notice the thump. The 444 is right on par with the 9.3x62 made famous in Africa as an all around ER for lion, hippo and elephant. Even worse recoil is 12 gauge 3.5 magnum turkey loads at 42 doe. A good recoil pad will make a huge difference in perceived recoil for sure.

According to Chuck Hawks recoil chart the 444 with 265 grain bullet at 2365fps in a 7.5 lb rifle recoil energy is 27.6 for a 12 gauge shotgun at 7 lbs shooting a 1 ounce slug generates 33fpe. Once you get above 25 for you will definitely notice the thump. The 444 is right on par with the 9.3x62 made famous in Africa as an all around ER for lion, hippo and elephant. Even worse recoil is 12 gauge 3.5 magnum turkey loads at 42 doe. A good recoil pad will make a huge difference in perceived recoil for sure.

My buddy bought a 12 gauge 31/2” magnum to turkey hunt with some years ago.:eek: He wants to sell it !:D

My buddy bought a 12 gauge 31/2” magnum to turkey hunt with some years ago.:eek: He wants to sell it !:D
What kind of gun? My Winchester SX3 does a nice job with recoil mitigation on the 3.5". It still thumps, but not like an old Mossberg pump my dad had.

I don't even notice recoil when hunting. I also don't waste $10 shells on patterning. I've stoned the last two turkeys at 57 and 60 yards. I like the longbeard xr choke/longbeard xr shell combo. :) 3.5" in my SBE3

For the past several decades, I've had very good luck with my 30-30. But if you're wanting a bolt action rifle, the 350 Legend will kill deer quite well for you. Velocity and energy figures are very similar. Good hunting to you! - TR

Back