New sprayer

dogghr

I’ve cussed the Fimco atv sprayer I have for 10 yrs. Is a decent sprayer for the money but seemed always some kind of drama especially on my hilly plots.
So I picked up today I ordered for my birthday my new 3 pt hitch pto driven sprayer that shipped. With the monsoons I doubt chance to try it but will get it to the farm tomorrow and do a water only test run perhaps. I’m on the road the next couple wks but will give a review when I can.
Thanks to whoever showed this one on an earlier discussion. Well made and I found it for 300 less than previous prices I’d seen. Chose the boom less spray for my tight areas and has a 50 ft hose for hand spraying. About 150# so pretty light which is good for me as I can lift it w one hand. Lol. I’ll update when I can.
2774a3fddd68883a3c2df34ce357c679.jpg

5fc5ef01cb8c9d4b8d226860fa4d2674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the same last year for similar reasons

mine is also boomless( another timeless debate)

You will really enjoy the difference

bill

Fine looking outfit dogghr. You should be able to get the job done with that.

The $300 you saved will buy a lot of motorcycle gas, so get ready for the next trip....;)

Fine looking outfit dogghr. You should be able to get the job done with that.

The $300 you saved will buy a lot of motorcycle gas, so get ready for the next trip....;)
I don't know, fuel prices have gone up the hog only gets about 45 mpg. Plus the dang rains just will not stop, but thats good for the new fruit trees I've put in this year.

I’ve cussed the Fimco atv sprayer I have for 10 yrs. Is a decent sprayer for the money but seemed always some kind of drama especially on my hilly plots.
So I picked up today I ordered for my birthday my new 3 pt hitch pto driven sprayer that shipped. With the monsoons I doubt chance to try it but will get it to the farm tomorrow and do a water only test run perhaps. I’m on the road the next couple wks but will give a review when I can.
Thanks to whoever showed this one on an earlier discussion. Well made and I found it for 300 less than previous prices I’d seen. Chose the boom less spray for my tight areas and has a 50 ft hose for hand spraying. About 150# so pretty light which is good for me as I can lift it w one hand. Lol. I’ll update when I can.
2774a3fddd68883a3c2df34ce357c679.jpg

5fc5ef01cb8c9d4b8d226860fa4d2674.jpg

Congratulations on your new birthday present. Care to share what brand, how many gallons, and where you bought it? Am I reading right and it weighs 150# and you pick it up with one hand? You must be related to Paul Bunyan! For my own experience, I never had much luck with my boomless sprayer, it would squirt the chemical instead of mist, so I converted it to booms. As treedaddy noted, this is a timeless discussion and a moot point, if boomless works good for you, why mess with booms and more nozzles to clean? Maybe my cropcare 25 gallon ATV boomless was just a bad design.

Following.
I have some similar complaints as you with my Fimco. They suck on slopes when the tank is getting low.
One major Fimco complaint is the tiny drain hole. It takes forever to properly drain and flush/clean.
Your new tank seems to also have a small drain. Am I seeing that correctly in your pics?

I have a Fimco that I converted to put in my Ranger bed for small plot spraying, but I use a locally made 60 gallon three point spray rig for larger jobs. Both have their places but I agree that the Fimco has issues. Mine was originally on a trailer and I pulled it behind my riding mower for lawn use. I goobered up the trailer tongue so I just took the tank off and made a wooden frame from 2x6s to mount in my Ranger bed. Works much better that way.

Congratulations on your new birthday present. Care to share what brand, how many gallons, and where you bought it? Am I reading right and it weighs 150# and you pick it up with one hand? You must be related to Paul Bunyan! For my own experience, I never had much luck with my boomless sprayer, it would squirt the chemical instead of mist, so I converted it to booms. As treedaddy noted, this is a timeless discussion and a moot point, if boomless works good for you, why mess with booms and more nozzles to clean? Maybe my cropcare 25 gallon ATV boomless was just a bad design.

I’m interested in brand, etc as well. Was just about to pull the trigger on the Fimco 60 gallon boomless even though I’ve read many less than stellar comments about them. Would love to have a better option.

Following.
I have some similar complaints as you with my Fimco. They suck on slopes when the tank is getting low.
One major Fimco complaint is the tiny drain hole. It takes forever to properly drain and flush/clean.
Your new tank seems to also have a small drain. Am I seeing that correctly in your pics?
Mennonite, its a Kings Sprayer made in USA in Orlando Fl. I ordered it thru Agricultural Solutions which are located in Maine. Oddly, order from the then shipped from Fl. They were super nice people to deal with and my only complaints is the girl forgot to schedule the shipping, but she appologized so much saying it was entirely her fault, I couldn't get mad. I had ordered so to have it last weekend which would've worked great for me to put it to use. Now I'm tied for 2 wks at least. Second, was it shipped but despite having a tracking number, no one could tell me where it was and when it would arrive. Otherwise I would order from them again.
The sprayer is 55 gal and they have the system for true farming upwards to 3-500 gallons I believe. A well made unit and I like the aluminum frame and the hosing and connections are top grade and the spray nozzle is enough to blast paint off a wall. Small things like a mounting bracket to hold in place pto pump when not in use, a holder for the srpray handle, and adjustment heights for the boomless sprayer , the nozzle of which is really heavy duty.
I also like, as you can see in first pic, is a LARGE easy to clean filter. Not one of those inline filters on most cheaper units that clog with chemical mixtures. I'm sure I have Roundup cancer just dealing with that previously. And I like the large filling lid, the recirculator while in use, and as said, its relative light weight.
Slight complaints, that said filter sits in a bad place to bang 3 pt hitch into it cracking its plastic housing. I may be one to hurry sometimes.
Second, It didn't come with a bolt for the upper 3 pt connection hook. No problem as I have extras, but odd, or forgotten.

Tap, I didn't pay close attention, but that drain tube is much larger than the worthless one on my Fimco. And it actually is positioned so it drains the bottom of the tank completely and I don't have to drive on hillsides to drain the Fimco.

I had decided to make major changes on the Fimco and had bought all I needed to do that, but decided to go new instead. Cost of the Kings was about 1700 with the boomless sprayer. Boom set up is an option, as is upgrade pump for larger farms.
Short on time today as daughter back home having baby shower. Ill give it a run thru in couple weeks and still see if I like it.

3964376952309761fd41fc9569ffcd94.jpg

2e81e261bf54785fe293287672e8d3ac.jpg

40f6e24e72863050f40def199786441e.jpg

That sure is pretty.
Any idea how well it will draw on slopes when the tank is getting low...like for the last 2 to 5 gallons?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That sure is pretty.
Any idea how well it will draw on slopes when the tank is getting low...like for the last 2 to 5 gallons?

I had hoped to find out today, but no chance. My guess is very good especially with the pto running pump at 12 gal/min which I think should suck up the liquid. Of course, as it gets down on any hillside unless one is spending major dollars for a true farmer type sprayer, I assume at times could be an issue on the last couple gallons. I should've took a pic inside the tank. I'll let you know soon.

I had hoped to find out today, but no chance. My guess is very good especially with the pto running pump at 12 gal/min which I think should suck up the liquid. Of course, as it gets down on any hillside unless one is spending major dollars for a true farmer type sprayer, I assume at times could be an issue on the last couple gallons. I should've took a pic inside the tank. I'll let you know soon.
Someone needs to school me on pto sprayers. I've only owned my 25 gal atv Fimco. What are the advantages of pto sprayers and are there any disadvantages?

Someone needs to school me on pto sprayers. I've only owned my 25 gal atv Fimco. What are the advantages of pto sprayers and are there any disadvantages?

I'm not sure of true pros and cons. I do know, sprayers can be run by pto, hydraulics, or electric pumps. For ag purposed the roller pumps are more durable whether pto or electric. Most less expensive pumps are around 1-3 gal per min with pressure of about 40 psi. Pto will run over 12 gal /min and pressures can be adusted over 100 psi. All that prob more important for ag farmers. My purpose for the pto, is I wanted a 3 pt sprayer which for me is most simple to connect to my pto and operate controls, including spray from my seat. If you look, the long double hose has the valve which reaches to tractor seat for actuation.
I think it is possible to run sprayers with any of those three type pumps if one spends the money for proper pump. I did not want to wire into my electrics, or use my hydraulics to run the sprayer. Gly can be hard on some electric sprayers but electrics are also less maintenance supposedly. Not so sure of that in my experience.

Well went down to give the sprayer a dry run, or would that be a wet run?? Was going to mow hay in my roadside field first, but saw a doe who acted like she might have a fawn in the chest high thicket. I only mow hay to reduce my county tax to farm rate, so I let it go for a fawn bedding area for now.
As for the sprayer, I'll give the pros and cons and then I'll post pics off my phone.
First complaint, as I expected the sprayer wouldn't connect to my Deere I-hitch. Not a huge deal but I was kinda in a rush. I can adapt it later. Anyway, had to take Ihitch off and since it hadn't been off for years, everything pretty tight. So back to barn for ballpean hammer and pliers. Removed hitch and Back to top field where I had dropped the sprayer off.

Second problem, sprayer will need to be dropped on couple pallets as connector arms of 3 pt won't drop low enough to grab sprayer connections. Not big problem as it only weighs 150# so I just wrestled it on to the arms and pinned it in place. The other issue when I adapt it to the Ihitch is the bracket for the filter protrudes a bit so may have to think that thru.

So on the 3 pt now connect the roller pump to the tractor pto. Odd, the bearings on the female receiver which connect to the male tractor pto are nylon. Wont' rust, but long term, I would prefer metal. So anyway, everyone knows how fun connectors can be sometimes but I always keep spray lube to make it easy. Of course, spray was down at barn, so the second wrestling match ensued. After multiple attempts, and loss of religion involving various name calling of non lubricated receiver. Finally used my Gatoraid I had and poured on connector and it slipped in like , well, you know.

Went to barn and filled the sprayer with 20 gal of water. Easy access of large top opening. 15-20 gal is what I used in my Fimco /ac. Of course this test run was with water only, no waste of chemical. Fired up pto, really quite compared to atv and fimco I was used to. Three turn on leavers, one to suck up water and into filter, another to allow thru pressure regulator and agitator, and the main to allow spray thru boom or boomless tip, the latter I have. Kicked sprayer on and such a fine mist it is difficult to see its work except for the grasses getting blown by the spray.
20 gal did half an acre so I'll have to up my amounts or do some adjustments.
Handled my side hills well with just a pickup issue as tank emptied our, but as level ground it sprayed again with no problem unlike my Fimco.

Tap, this is for you as you cracked me up, and it is important, as to how big a drain tube it had to empty tank! I'm not kidding, I opened stopcock that at base of tank the little remaining poured out so hard it washed away some of the stone beneath it. Drained in seconds and no tilting or sidehill to drain like Fimco.

Not knocking the Fimco too much, I've had it 8 years and it still functions decent. It needs to have the inline filters replaced with large filter and better inlets, and the Fimco for the money is decent. But for me, Its off to Ebay.

I really not sure worth me buying the Kings sprayer as I seldom spray anymore even for my fall crop rotations. I just wait till grains are dead and T&M with no or little chemical use. As you know I don't worry very often of weeds or grasses in my plots but every 3 years or so. I am trying the Imox in my alfalfa plot for fun this weekend and will see if I still love this sprayer. I do like and hate the aluminum frame. I'm kinda a gorilla at the farm and steel or iron is more forgiving of my stupid moves. But plus, it won't rust even tho I always spray my stuff after Fert or chem and it will stay in barn. Pics in a sec.

Reactions: Tap
Used the sprayer to put Imox on my alfalfa plot. Liked the agitator mixing chemicals. Liked lowering to waist level to fill and add components.
Played w pto and pressure adjustment screw.
Used lower rpm of 1500 and w screw adjustment ran sprayer at about 40 psi when activated. This allowed about 20 gal/ac water which is similar to the Fimco. Unlike a implement like bush hog you don’t need run pto at 540+ to work.

I did on my steepest plot tried to position so deepest water would be on the intake / passenger side. Unlike the fimco if it sucked air it would engage and spray again once fluid was available on flatter land.

Easy cleanup w large drain spout. Tried spray hose and it was great. Easy to adjust from spread to pencil point. Would spray 30+ ft.

I prob wasted some spray and could use less water as I’m sure I overlapped too much. Width w boom less was about 20-25 ft w nozzle at 36 in. Coverage seemed even thruout. So much easier and faster. than wrestling the atv around my plots.

If I were to do much spraying I would change lever action a solenoid. Not huge issue but simpler. Levers and basses are brass but elbows are plastic. Prob will convert to copper in future. I had replaced most couplings in my Fimco w brass from TS.

FYI you may not know... at least on the 4000 series JD tractors you can activate pto while not in the seat which typically shuts down tractor if you leave seat.
Method is sit on seat start engine place in neutral set brake. Stand off seat and engage pto. It will continue running. This allows you to make pressure adjustments or use spray hose or add water/components.
Obviosly DO NOT get near running pto.

Following pic is sprayer running w 3 pt on ground and before I made adjustments to pressure. Hope this all makes sense.
12c6f9928cb4a4a1ad2fb1c2536edd08.jpg

When you get ready to winterize, make sure to remember to do the hand wand or you will regret not doing so. I normally use compressed air in the hose for the hand wand to clean mine of any fluid.

Back