New spot

Thought I might share my new spot. We are originally from Southern Illinois and moved to western Kentucky almost 6 years ago. Where I live I can hunt out my back door, but the landlord doesn't want anyone else hunting it, so I have always taken the kids I take to public land. This summer I got to know my neighbors pretty well and got permission to hunt two different properties that they own. Total acreage is around 120 acres, but it is not connected. This will be our opening morning set up.newspot1.jpg

Whats normal winds for you? I know our pattern of wind switches from SW to NE most days this time of year. That the big wild card for me when deciding which stand on my smaller property.

The winds come from all over the place. During gun season generally speaking they come from the north or northwest. Honestly, I have never been one to worry about wind direction, though I do prefer no wind at all simply so I can hear what is going on. Where I hunt houses are always near by and the deer are used to human scent.

Good luck with your new spot. If I'm hunting with rising thermals then i also prefer a light wind. However, where I hunt swirling winds can be a problem with a wind less than 10mpH so I prefer a nice steady breeze.

Good luck this season
Todd

Both of those stands are good with a north or NW wind. The flat land I hunt if there is no wind, my scent just swirls and will get wind all in 4 directions. Houses near by can be a blessing and a curse. The deer are used to it but they also know when there are new smells around. Dont get discouraged, be attentive to what you see or dont see in the stand and it will improve.

Even hunting my backyard deer can determine when I am in the tree with the wrong wind direction...even being less than 30 yards from the house...they can pick odor apart and tell what is happening right now as opposed to what was happening an hour ago...

I am like Todd in that I like a nice steady breeze in the timber I hunt. I like it strong enough to help muffle my sound going to the stand and I like the fact that it helps to muffle any noises I might make in the tree and also with leaves and things moving a little movement in the trees is not noticed. I only hunt big woods areas and can rarely see beyond 75 yards and the deer are usually very, very close to me with most getting within 5 yards or less...when it is absolutely still the thermals are fickle and create a pool of scent around your stand...10 MPH is about perfect but I have noticed a steady 15-20 mph wind and I can do jumping jacks in my tree and deer don't really notice...

10-20 is my sweet spot on wind. Less and it swirls, more than 20 and the deer arent as apt to be on their feet moving. In the fall when its warm, the swirling much worse than late season when it has cooled down. But use your judgement and try to keep up with deer spooking or blowing when you hunt those winds and learn from each time.

Back