New plot in the timber

Satguy

I have a new clearing in my timber that was created by the loggers using it for a log landing. Its about 1/8th of an acre and I was looking for suggestions of what you all would plant there. I know it will require lime. Would an LC mix be a good choice or clover? I can take a pic next trip to the farm and include it.

If they had heavy trucks running over it, I would plant a sub-soiler in there first and let some of mother natures rains soak in below the broken up hard pan. Then soil test, then apply lime if required, then work everything in to the top 4" of soil. Most of my plots are on timber company land and I always plant a mix, but clovers are the backbone of my plots. Easy to grow in shadier spots, throw in some cereal grains and brassicas and you've got a tasty, annual plot.

The mix of clovers I use are crimson, arrowleaf and medium red which carries me thru most of the year.Proudction of cool season crops.JPG

I'll be following closely as I just cut out the same size plot on the end of a wooded ridge. Satguy how are you planning to get your soil ready for planting ? I've got lots of stumps, saplings and debris to deal with.
You may consider chicory in your mix if you can get enough sunlight to it.

Last edited:
I'll be following closely as I just cut out the same size plot on the end of a wooded ridge. Satguy how are you planning to get your soil ready for planting ? I've got lots of stumps, saplings and debris to deal with.
You may consider chicory in your mix if you can get enough sunlight to it.
There is only 1 stump in the clearing and most of it was not driven over. The logger used the blade on his skidder to push off several standing trees and it is fairly smooth. I will probably disc it or till it and then plant.

If they had heavy trucks running over it, I would plant a sub-soiler in there first and let some of mother natures rains soak in below the broken up hard pan. Then soil test, then apply lime if required, then work everything in to the top 4" of soil. Most of my plots are on timber company land and I always plant a mix, but clovers are the backbone of my plots. Easy to grow in shadier spots, throw in some cereal grains and brassicas and you've got a tasty, annual plot.

The mix of clovers I use are crimson, arrowleaf and medium red which carries me thru most of the year.View attachment 7933
I like the thought of the clovers and cereal grains and brassicas. I will post pics of the before and after.

Here is the before pic I took today. As soon as he removes some cull logs. I will start working it.
4e701c8c109dd43f7848f0b9b588b919.jpg
ccab124cc7cbccca0631497512e61b36.jpg
6fe05cae3bd76b8511d303ef86153dd1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I've got one quite similar looking but larger. I'd get your lime down now and plant rye, clover and radishes a month before you typical first frost. Work the lime in well--it will pay dividends in an amazing kill plot. Our hidden mountain plot which is about 3/4 of an acre got its 3rd pallet of pellet lime today (started at a ph of 4.1). The growth the last month has been fantastic! Even last year with very acidic soil and scrawny oats and rye, it was a huge draw.

I have a new clearing in my timber that was created by the loggers using it for a log landing. Its about 1/8th of an acre and I was looking for suggestions of what you all would plant there. I know it will require lime. Would an LC mix be a good choice or clover? I can take a pic next trip to the farm and include it.
Did they bulldoze the stumps or just cut them flush to the ground?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They were bulldozed. I need to be able to freely disc. Only way I would not bulldoze is if I was going to grind them down below the surface.

Back