New Food Plot - 20 Days without rain

Still waiting for rain but the plots look no worse than a week ago.
What happened to that rain we were supposed to get overnight into the early morning hours? It looks like it just never left the clouds. I was really counting on that. My plots might be a bust.

What happened to that rain we were supposed to get overnight into the early morning hours? It looks like it just never left the clouds. I was really counting on that. My plots might be a bust.

That was a gut punch! I bet I hit refresh from 8 AM yesterday until I went to bed and slowly watched as the chances dissipated. And judging from my cameras this morning we didn’t get a drop in Western Kentucky.

I have 5 does eating in my wheat as we speak.

Ben, I was counting on it too, but it didn't happen. They were showing 70% and we ended up with nothing.

If your seed haven't germinated yet, you will probably be okay. If they have germinated and then go into a drought, that's a bad scenario. I still think I will have eventually have clover, but the problem is all of the warm season weeds and grasses that have come up in the open spots where the clover should be. I'm looking at a weedy food plot for next year.

I even tuned in to the Bowling Green news from my computer this morning. I think a little fell somewhere in Morgantown but who knows.
Last Tuesday when we left my place and got to town, it looked like town got a little bit of a soaker. At my place, about 5 miles away, we got a couple of drops. :(

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-26_14-16-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-26_14-16-4.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 0
34 days now, but at least my plots looks better than my yard.....;)

ZOJ9rLB.jpg

Longer than that at my house. They say the drought has worsened three levels in three weeks here. I have several 10 year old chinkapin oaks that have lost their leaves. 96 here today. 95 tomorrow, 94 Sunday. I'm gonna bet money we see at least 15 days of 90+ in October, AND no rain until Dec. 14.

Ben, I was counting on it too, but it didn't happen. They were showing 70% and we ended up with nothing.

If your seed haven't germinated yet, you will probably be okay. If they have germinated and then go into a drought, that's a bad scenario. I still think I will have eventually have clover, but the problem is all of the warm season weeds and grasses that have come up in the open spots where the clover should be. I'm looking at a weedy food plot for next year.
Frost seed more clover in late winter, then mow and spray herbicide for grass in late spring.

I’ve got lambsquarters too. It’s forming a seed head so I will probably mow this fall at some point.

I have the opposite problem going on in northern MN. Lost half my fall plots to heavy rains causing puddles for long stretches in the fields. Insane how the weather has been this year across the country.

This is what it looked like Saturday in the low, shady area. Even the clover germinated and is doing good here. The rest of the plot looks almost this good - minus the clover.....

PS: Of all the things planted, the deer at the sunhemp the best. They have cherry picked it out of the entire plot.

VwJvpAp.jpg

It’s been the wettest summer in many years here in Oklahoma but the heat seems relentless!

That's how we were until a little over a month ago - then WHAM into a drought with the heat not letting up.

On Friday of this week they are predicting about a 20 degree drop in the high from Thursday - then rain on the weekend. That would really get the deer to moving.

That's how we were until a little over a month ago - then WHAM into a drought with the heat not letting up.

On Friday of this week they are predicting about a 20 degree drop in the high from Thursday - then rain on the weekend. That would really get the deer to moving.
Not quite as extreme drop here. We are supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler tomorrow and then a gradual warming trend again until Sunday when we drop to low 70’s and high 60’s for a few days. I get a much coveted N wind for tomorrow which is what I am excited about!

I feel your pain Native! I've been checking the radar every time they call for a chance and the rain always seems to dissipate right before it reaches the property. I also check the farmlogs app almost daily and i think in total we have gotten 4/100's of an inch in the last 30 days. My plots are small and in the woods so weeds are already a battle, but it looks like next spring they will really take over.

49710B56-7C95-42F1-8F6B-A4188267AE5A.jpeg Speaking of rain, or lack of it, my buddy and I replanted two plots this morning that, last time I saw them, weren’t looking all that bad. I still don’t know if it was lack of moisture or army worms. On September 24, it looked like this. This morning it was dirt.....

The Panhandle of Florida is is a major Drought. Even the waterholes are dried to Cracked Earth. Food Plots I did are pretty much a bust.

Good News is I don't think the seed ever germinated, so maybe with some rain they might still make it---if we ever get some.

I have modest expectations for my fall plots now given that it finally started raining here. This is the absolute latest I’ve ever planted, since a few plots were replanted, two of them re-re planted. It’s wheat so they should make it. Maybe.....

Back