New Adult Hunter, go solo?

Welcome Jax, to the forum and to hunting. I was much like you in that nobody in my family hunted, but that was probably because we didn't have any deer here when I was a kid. So first, I became a squirrel and duck hunter. I almost lived in the woods as a kid, and was lucky enough to be trusted with a .22 rifle at 12 or 13 years old. Squirrels and rabbits were my quarry. I was 18 before I saw my first whitetails, and believe me, white tails were all I saw ! I made every mistake in the book and invented some of my own. The advice to go slow is excellent advice ! In fact, if you're in a good spot, don't go at all. Sit down and wait. More deer are killed by sitting than moving in the woods.

Permission to hunt private here in E Texas is almost non existent so I hunted on National Forest land. When I started bow hunting, we had to share the woods with squirrel hunters, and I never even drew back on a public land deer. Of course at that time, there were very few deer here. Later in life, I hunted on leases, or hunting clubs, then I became successful as a bowhunter.

To address your question of what to do with a carcass: I'm sure there is at least a few vids on utube showing how to skin and quarter. You'll need a good sharp knife and a hacksaw would be nice, or pruning loppers, to take the leg bones off. Just quarter the deer up, put it in an ice chest and take it to a processor. Drain the bloody water off a couple times and add ice. I've done it dozens of times and it results in delicious venison for the table. I wish you were closer to me, I could let you practice on pigs ! :)

Good luck Jax, and keep us informed !

I re-read your first post and just had to come back to say this. Go ! Go hunting even if you don't know what the hell you're doing. That will come later, and meanwhile you'll be gathering intel and having fun. If you don't have fun in the woods, even if you don't kill something, take up golf !:D

Last edited:
This is a little different advice but in the end I will say go for it. Have some fun. Remember though, safety first. If you hunt from a treestand make sure it's safe. Get a quality harness like those made by hunter safety systems. Watch the videos on how to use it. Tell someone close to you where you're going, when you'll leave and when you'll be back. Bowhunting is awesome and for many of us it's among our most treasured pastimes but it's not without its perils if you're not diligent. A new hunter probably prepares better and takes less for granted than an experienced hunter sometimes but it's hard to undo a safety mistake. Sharp knives, sharp arrows and long falls can make for a life changing event. With that said - have a blast and go for it.

Dang if he's careful with all that he won't have great stories to tell in later years like I do!!:rolleyes:

Ya, like I fell out of my 24' ladder stand while reaching out to trim branches with my machete, which subsequently ended up stuck in the ground next to me where I lay. Just an update, Brad is able to stand but is wobbly.

G

I've only been hunting a few years. Just do it, and be safe. I've learned a lot and can already look back on how stupid I was with what I thought would work. Just being in the woods observing deer will help you more than anything.

Make sure you're tied to the tree up in the air at all times.

Plus after the first few years you won't be spending as much on all the crap you "need".

Going solo will bring a whole new level of experience, ownership, and gratitude to your hunt. Just learn from your mistakes and always be looking to be a better hunter than you were the day before. Its a great thing to figure it out on your own. Best of luck! I am sure you are well into your season now!

I had some help from my dad, but he never bow hunted. I had to learn everything about Bowhunting from forums and books. There is tons of info here, but I will recommend two books:

Precision Bowhunting
Bowhunting Tactics is the Pros

Those two books will get you off to a great start.

Most importantly - have fun!

I deer hunted most of my life alone.

While I like small game hunting, not as much as deer, I wouldn't wait to deer hunt in order to shoot bunnies. They are very different types of hunting. About the only value is learning an area. You can practice shooting any time. Not like you are 10 years old.

I see this is an old thread. Hopefully you went, and even better hopefully got something.

But I say go deer hunting, and don't wait another year.

When you finally get out there to hunt, pick a spot and commit to it until dark. Don't start second guessing it and moving around. Committing to a spot and letting the day unfold is crucial to see things and learning. Everytime you hear a sound, listen carefully and try to positively identify it. Usually you will hear a deer before you see it. Understanding the different sounds of the woods is an important part to learning to be a good hunter.

One of my buddies used to hunt a little in high school. Killed a spike in '91. Just went for the second time since the other day and took a doe. Being an adult brings patience and maturity that a teenage doesn't have. My father's generation mostly bird and small game hunted. Many if not most of us are self taught. Now there are a ton of resources, like this forum, to shorten the curve.

My father's generation mostly bird and small game hunted. Many if not most of us are self taught. Now there are a ton of resources, like this forum, to shorten the curve.
Maybe regional. But my dad and grandpa rarely small game hunt or hunted, but deer every year. Maybe different when children.

I deer hunted most of my life alone.

While I like small game hunting, not as much as deer, I wouldn't wait to deer hunt in order to shoot bunnies. They are very different types of hunting. About the only value is learning an area. You can practice shooting any time. Not like you are 10 years old.

I see this is an old thread. Hopefully you went, and even better hopefully got something.

But I say go deer hunting, and don't wait another year.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome Jax, to the forum and to hunting. I was much like you in that nobody in my family hunted, but that was probably because we didn't have any deer here when I was a kid. So first, I became a squirrel and duck hunter. I almost lived in the woods as a kid, and was lucky enough to be trusted with a .22 rifle at 12 or 13 years old. Squirrels and rabbits were my quarry. I was 18 before I saw my first whitetails, and believe me, white tails were all I saw ! I made every mistake in the book and invented some of my own. The advice to go slow is excellent advice ! In fact, if you're in a good spot, don't go at all. Sit down and wait. More deer are killed by sitting than moving in the woods.

Permission to hunt private here in E Texas is almost non existent so I hunted on National Forest land. When I started bow hunting, we had to share the woods with squirrel hunters, and I never even drew back on a public land deer. Of course at that time, there were very few deer here. Later in life, I hunted on leases, or hunting clubs, then I became successful as a bowhunter.

To address your question of what to do with a carcass: I'm sure there is at least a few vids on utube showing how to skin and quarter. You'll need a good sharp knife and a hacksaw would be nice, or pruning loppers, to take the leg bones off. Just quarter the deer up, put it in an ice chest and take it to a processor. Drain the bloody water off a couple times and add ice. I've done it dozens of times and it results in delicious venison for the table. I wish you were closer to me, I could let you practice on pigs ! :)

Good luck Jax, and keep us informed !

I re-read your first post and just had to come back to say this. Go ! Go hunting even if you don't know what the hell you're doing. That will come later, and meanwhile you'll be gathering intel and having fun. If you don't have fun in the woods, even if you don't kill something, take up golf !:D

I appreciate it. I decided to wait until late December early January (after rifle/muzzle loader season is over) when the season is a little slower. Not really expecting to harvest, but hoping public land is not nearly as crowded as what Ive heard. My goal now is just to get out there, test gear,and acclimate myself to the environment and experience; Ill be happy if I even just see a deer. The outdoor range I go to has been virtually dead now, I'm hoping thats a sign of everyone starting to pack it in for the year.

I also got a new sight to occupy my time as well!

Maybe regional. But my dad and grandpa rarely small game hunt or hunted, but deer every year. Maybe different when children.

My dad and grandfather are long dead, but when they were alive, there were very few deer hunting opportunities anywhere in North America....which is why I said generation. JFC

My dad and grandfather are long dead, but when they were alive, there were very few deer hunting opportunities anywhere in North America....which is why I said generation. JFC
This a regional statement. Wow. Very few??? For city folk. But even flat landers invaded the country for deer season.

Before logging, there were not alot deer. Was your farther in the civil war?

I realize some areas have been up and down, but again regional.

I appreciate it. I decided to wait until late December early January (after rifle/muzzle loader season is over) when the season is a little slower. Not really expecting to harvest, but hoping public land is not nearly as crowded as what Ive heard. My goal now is just to get out there, test gear,and acclimate myself to the environment and experience; Ill be happy if I even just see a deer. The outdoor range I go to has been virtually dead now, I'm hoping thats a sign of everyone starting to pack it in for the year.

I also got a new sight to occupy my time as well!
Muzzle loading can be a good time to go. Less people. Deer relax.

Late season can be be harsh weather, which as a new hunter you may be so excited you don't care. But it can be trying, not seeing anythint when cold.

Either way, get out there. I agree about trying out gear. Which can be a fun part. I try to keep a list of what I should get for next year, or do different.

Hi All,

Looking for stories, tips, advice on solo hunting as a brand new adult hunter (32 years old).

Short story, my buddy and I have been getting ready for almost two years accumulating gear and getting comfortable at the range, last year we were going to do shotgun because we were not confident in making a clean kill with our bows yet, then he had a kid and backed out, so we cancelled our plans. This year, same buddy, we were planning on hunting on some of his families land, bows and all, and he got a new job, so he backed out again. Lesson learned, don't count on other people..., but I am limited in the people I know in my area that are interested in the sport.

So now I've spent the last year watching videos, getting range time, finishing my gear setup, and 3 weeks before the season my plans have fallen through.

I am nervous to go solo, but figure a lot of guys have done it and just wanted to get some inspirational tips. I am trying to decide where now as well, since I lost the luxury of private land and have to scramble to figure out my best bet for public land WI, IL, IN, OH. Even if I don't get to harvest I still just want to get out there and get some time in the woods, hopefully put some eyes on some animals.

I am so green, I am trying to figure out, if I harvest, what to do next. Quarter it and throw it in the back of my Subaru, throw it on the roof and bring to a butcher, but then what if I'm not local . .. .so many questions going through my mind it's frustrating.

Anywho, I'd love to hear stories of how people got started who didn't grow up with it in the family.

Thank you, and good luck this season to all!

Practice, Practice, Practise...
My advice is to keep the wind in your face. Set up and resist the urge to move around. I try to hunt where no one else is hunting. Do everything very slowly. If you get a shot... Wait till the deer turns his head away from you, focus your sight on a tiny spot... Don't shoot unless you think the deer is in range, and your chances of a good shot are high. Take a breath, and let half of it out just before you take the shot. It will help settle you down. Simple advise works for Rifle, or any bow.

I'm going to be out for the 1st time at 32 years old and I'm feeling the same way in regards to what to do after if I get a deer.

I started hunting rabbits and squirrels when I was 12 years old. Grew up on the south side of Milwaukee during the 1950s to 1970. My first bow was a home made English yew hand me down from an older cousin. Everything that was taken was fixed by my Mother, a Polish lady who could cook. I hunted along railroad tracks and small pockets of woods. Had a 80 acre track of land that contained several Catholic institutions on it. There was an old growth oak woods on part of this acreage. It butted up to Lake Michigan. That was the seed that started my life long hunting journey.
Just get out and do it.

For the most part I learned on my own back when I was about 18. I would talk to people and ask questions but as far as actually doing it I just jumped in and tried. None of it is rocket science, you can figure it out especially with the resources that we have nowadays on the internet. A few years ago I decided that I wanted to process my own deer instead of paying someone to do it. I just watched some videos and bought some of the items needed such as a grinder and just figured it out. I took my time and probably didn't do it just right but I learn something new every year. Just jump in and have fun!

If you're going to be hunting public land, you need to do much, much more scouting than hunting. You can get away with "observation hunts" on private land, but not in the poorly regulated lands of Illinoise.

Learn how to scout. If you walked in the woods right now, you wouldn't have a clue what you're doing, so do some serious research on scouting public land.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com

The hunting beast is the best collection of information you'll find on learning how to find and hunt public land deer.

If you're going to hunt public land:
1. Scout more than you hunt. Now is the perfect time.

2. Never, ever, ever sit on a field edge unless you don't want to kill a deer

3. Figure out exactly where the deer bed and WHY (wind, cover and terrain normally) and use your head to figure out how to hunt the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back