Name My Weeds....please

lakngolf

For years I have been cursing my various weeds anonymously, but it is time I address them properly.
Please help me "Name My Weeds". (I have edited to add names)
(1) . Perilla (Beefstake Plant)

(2) Teaweed (Sida Species)

(3) . Dog Fennel

(4) Sickle Pod

I call this one Coffee Weed

(5) Carolina Horsenettle A field of stickers

(6) Creeping Smartweed

I think this is same as picture above

(7) Spanish Needles (Bidens) Hope you can see this one. My neighbor got a new tractor and wanted places to bush hog. So he cut some areas of mine that had not been mowed in sometime. One field is now covered with this

(8) One of the Sedges. (Probably Gray's Sedge)

(9) Stonebreaker (aka Chamber Bitter) (Phyllanthus Species)
Leafflower, Mimosa Weed,

Last edited:
Below are the ones I know right off hand. Having a mental block on the last one. Will think of it in a few minutes.

Edit: Just remembered the last one and added it.

1. Perilla (Beefstake Plant)
2. Teaweed (Sida Species)
3. Dog Fennel
4. Sickle Pod
5. Carolina Horsenettle
6. Creeping Smartweed
7. Spanish Needles (Bidens)
8. One of the Sedges. (Probably Gray's Sedge) Many very similar.
9. Stonebreaker (aka Chamber Bitter) (Phyllanthus Species)

Last edited:
I can tell you from experience...that if you let Spanish Needles go to seed and walk through them you will have something to do for hours.

So you best get rid of them fast because it’s almost to late.

I can tell you from experience...that if you let Spanish Needles go to seed and walk through them you will have something to do for hours.

So you best get rid of them fast because it’s almost to late.
We have a lot of what we call Beggar's lice. Are they similar?
I see spainish needles is sometimes called beggarticks

That one field is now full of it.

We have a lot of what we call Beggar's lice. Are they similar?
I see spainish needles is sometimes called beggarticks

That one field is now full of it.

Yes they are similar. It has a seed that is about an inch long pencil lead size and with what looks like two fish hooks on the end.

I can tell you what doesn't work more than what does. Mowing them late will not work. The plant just grows and goes to seed low enough that the mower can not reach them again. Butyrac 200 only top kills the plant and it comes back. Think deep rooted plant. Only thing I have found that has worked for me is Roundup but I'm not sure if you are willing to go that route.

Sprayed Grazon Next on Wednesday so give me a couple weeks and I can report how it will work. It is taking effect but not sure it will kill the roots just yet.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Beggar's Lice is sometimes used as a term for anything that has seed that stick to you. However, the most common use of the word is for the Tick Treefoil species (Desmodium). The link below shows a picture of what I'm talking about.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/7295307@N02/1568840767

As a child I used to cuss these dang things, because after a rabbit hunt, it would take hours to get them off my clothes. But over the years I have learned the tremendous wildlife value of them. Actually, they have comparable nutritional value to soybeans and sometimes are referred to as poor man's soybeans.

There is probably not a better plant out there for quail, and deer relish the tender leaves and stems. Other wildlife benefit as well.

Back