My NY peeps

JohnL48

Please clarify something I confuse easy. Muzzleloader/crossbow tag. I have one either sex tag and one anterless tag. Under bag limits it says deer of either sex. Soooooo can I shoot just one or one buck and one doe / or 2 does

Follow what’s on the tag. So yo can shoot one buck or doe on the either sex tag , and one doe on the antlerless. I don’t think there is a crossbow tag. Just a muzzleloader/bowhunting tag. You’re just allowed to use a crossbow during parts of the archery , regular and muzzleloader seasons. If you shoot a doe make sure you use the antlerless tag first of course so you don’t lose out on a buck.

Sounds like how it is in Nebraska. If so, it’d be one buck / one doe or two does. Not sure there but in Nebraska and here in Georgia, buck fawns are considered Antlerless so you could technically kill two bucks as long as one is a fawn.

The two tags both usable in either season or one and one is not something I've noticed before. It reads that way to me as Buckly stated and that is how I shall handle it. With that muzzleloader doe tag my wife and I each have, 4 Deer Management tags each and 2 landowner management doe tags each and our one muzzleloader buck tag each and one rifle buck tag each that brings us combined up to 18 legal deer tags. We also have the option which we often do of signing our tags over to friends to help us control the deer population on our property. I guess there must still be a push to severely reduce the deer herd. I can't say the population doesn't need reducing on some properties and that amount of tags sure helps us to use our discretion to effectively manage the deer on our individual properties. If our property gets stupid over populated it will on our shoulders for sure. Further, I have confidence that The DEC is right in issuing all of these tags because landowners mostly have been through too many deer, then not enough and in some cases back to too many deer or still not enough. We landowners as a group are generally more experienced than when the first need to reduce the herds became apparent. And thus only those whose properties have more deer than is sustainable will likely fill or have others fill all or the majority of their tags. In the first round of so many available tags the deer population on many properties was temporarily cut back perhaps more than needed but I doubt that will happen again.

edit; LLC-yes the term used in New York is antler less deer and not doe tag so a button buck is called antler less and thus qualifies to be tagged with an antler less tag.

Last edited:
John, I guess you are not part of our club in that we do not shoot does on the mountain.

I don't shoot does up here. Just asking for a clarification. I don't remember paying a dues for said club. Last doe I shot up here was 30 yrs ago

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back