MRC ?

Drycreek

Okay guys, I planted this plot last fall with wheat and medium red as I did in 2018. The clover never really popped last spring and got pretty thin as summer approached. I then planted it to IC peas but the drought got them pretty early. Last fall I planted it heavier, still had a good wheat plot, and so far, lots of clover. The deer and hogs are in it quite often, and I did not put an exclusion cage in it, (I know, I know) :rolleyes: so I don’t really know if it’s short from grazing or the cold weather. Long story short, I would like to have a good summer clover plot so as not to have to go to the time and expense of planting it this spring. Any words of wisdom ?52EBD8A8-509D-486D-B4F4-58E5976E3D71.jpeg58B5B171-AB18-4FCE-9E91-92563BC66A28.jpeg

Sit back and watch it grow. Clover as the grass in your yard spreads by stolons filling in w time. Most over think it way too much. Overseed now if u want w RC or a clover drought resistant for ur area. Also throw out chicory now for drought resistance. May spray cleth mid summer for grasses and terminate wheat. I usually don’t. Shade is good from the wheat as is the weed control. Spread 0-20-20 and go take a nap. Looks good. And put that exclusion cage so u don’t have to question is it from browse! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’ve got a decent stand of MRC now, the growth will explode over the next couple of months once the green up occurs. If in doubt, overseed more MRC now and it’ll probably work out nicely. I prefer MRC over ladino. However my Durana plot is pretty impressive going on season 3

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.....I know hogs are a far greater problem for some than others. He mentioned them, but he may have a few or be over-run with them....I don't know. And, NO, I don't want any!

Drycreek....You ever think of upgrading your trap to the new style with remote trigger to catch the whole sounder?

Drycreek....You ever think of upgrading your trap to the new style with remote trigger to catch the whole sounder?

Only one thing holds me back.......dollar bills !:) Seriously though, I’m thinking pretty hard on it now. Jaeger Pro won’t sell just the trigger, they want you to buy their camera and I already have a cell camera. It may need their camera to work, I don’t know, but I’ve found another remote trigger that I can rig up for about $1,000, I just can’t get enough hog traffic to justify it. These hogs are pretty trap shy.

Only one thing holds me back.......dollar bills !:) Seriously though, I’m thinking pretty hard on it now. Jaeger Pro won’t sell just the trigger, they want you to buy their camera and I already have a cell camera. It may need their camera to work, I don’t know, but I’ve found another remote trigger that I can rig up for about $1,000, I just can’t get enough hog traffic to justify it. These hogs are pretty trap shy.

Jaeger camera is part of the trigger system. There is one that the whole cage is suspended in the air and they claim that trap shy hogs will walk under and you can catch the whole sounder but I don’t remember their name. Sounds like that’s what you need for those hogs if you can afford one. I’m lucky as I don’t have any hogs here.

Jaeger camera is part of the trigger system. There is one that the whole cage is suspended in the air and they claim that trap shy hogs will walk under and you can catch the whole sounder but I don’t remember their name. Sounds like that’s what you need for those hogs if you can afford one. I’m lucky as I don’t have any hogs here.

I think that one cost about $8000. It was designed by one of the Noble Foundation guys. Looks pretty great. I was very interested until I saw the price tag

I have a friend who bought three of those falling traps. After awhile he had enough trouble with them that he “persuaded” the maker to take them back. Too expensive to start with IMO.

About hogs: It has been my experience that younger hogs or ones that have no experience are easy to trap, they are slaves to their stomachs. It doesn’t take long at all to change that. All it takes is several hogs seeing some of the group trapped. The ones that aren’t trapped are then educated. Jaeger is onto something with the “trap the whole sounder” thing, but if you watch their tv show, they very seldom get the whole sounder. The guy sits out there with a thermal scoped rifle and kills the ones that won’t go in. He then tells you how efficient all that was at the end but I’d bet he leaves out the hours wasted waiting on them and the expense of everything involved. I love shooting hogs, especially the big smart ones, and I have night vision, but my hours are getting less and less compatible with their hours. o_O

I just bought the JAGER Pro system and will let you know in a couple of weeks how effective it is. I have over forty hogs on my place ripping up my pasture. After baiting for a couple of weeks I’ll see how many I can catch in the first deployment. It wasn’t cheap but I’m tired of messing with these freaking hogs.

I just bought the JAGER Pro system and will let you know in a couple of weeks how effective it is. I have over forty hogs on my place ripping up my pasture. After baiting for a couple of weeks I’ll see how many I can catch in the first deployment. It wasn’t cheap but I’m tired of messing with these freaking hogs.

Well, I wish you and everyone that traps or shoots hogs the best of luck. I’ve had my corral trap deployed almost a month now with no takers, but I’m about to move it to what I think will be a better location in a few days. I’ll document it on my hog trapping thread and we’ll all see if I know anything......

Back