Livvix Farm

Blizzard Ridge

2016-07-21 14.34.52.jpg Just wanted to get something started here. I purchased this farm 3 years ago. I have some quality bucks on the farm, have added some food plots and have been playing around a bit with habitat management. The problem I have with this farm and the reason I have it up for sale (besides the fact I am broke) is the subdivision that I own that runs on the NE side of the farm. Although the deer don't seem to care much about it. My son had an opportunity on a 160" class buck not 100 yards east of the farthest south house in sub. The red outlines are the sanctuary areas do to issues entering without disturbing deer. My question is what can I do to more isolate my hunting property from the subdivision? Second issue is this needs to be something that will not tick off the neighbors. Feel free to mention how you would hunt it and I can compare our stand locations. Have fun with it!

I'd think that thin strip of woods between those fields would be an awesome travel route especially during the rut.

The problem with that area is it is straight up and down. The deer actually have a tendency to run across the west field when coming from the road back on to me. Or they will cross the creek into the bottom field and run the edge to the south into the woods but not like they should. This is an area that needs to be enhanced but I haven't figured out the best approach.

What about that field that looks somewhat overgrown to the left of the driveway? That could be a good staging area of you planted some shrubs and warm season grasses.

You can't tell from the image but this is planted in native grasses and has pine and cedar planted throughout. This farm was a tree farm in the past so their are a few left scattered here and there. Right along the east and west edge of the lane is developed lots that are for sale which hinders the property to the west in the future. If I decide to keep this property I would like to turn that area into a thick tangled up mess to make the deer feel a little more secure with the potential to have homes that close to them.

You can't tell from the image but this is planted in native grasses and has pine and cedar planted throughout. This farm was a tree farm in the past so their are a few left scattered here and there. Right along the east and west edge of the lane is developed lots that are for sale which hinders the property to the west in the future. If I decide to keep this property I would like to turn that area into a thick tangled up mess to make the deer feel a little more secure with the potential to have homes that close to them.

I'd get a tower stand or elevated blind over those grasses and wait for the rut. Bucks will be searching in there for does like crazy.

Have to ask Steve as I am not that familiar with this mapping software yet but I believe with the link you can switch between different layers topo, aerial and terrain images. Looks like a great tool to play with though as I am a aerial image studying geek.

I would hunt those little ridges or saddles that edge off those fields. Looks edgy and has nice age mixture of timber. Very nice place, BR.

BR... I won't offer any suggestion on hunting except to say the area just north of the inside corner near the bottom of pick looks mighty good from my seat. Good luck on selling your property. Land is so much more expensive up there than down here. I'll be up there next week in Decatur, IL. Lots of huge deer up there!

W33kender, you hit the nail on the head. I hunt the ridges off of the fields. There are a couple good saddles on the east side of property that hunts well. The issue is getting to it without disturbing the deer. Triple. Thank you I actually have lowered the price on the farm I believe it is at $3650 an acre now which is well priced for the area. Hopefully it will go soon so I can get some bills paid. I have not hunted this close to houses before so and they do still run it but it is very tricky getting in and out of it.

Back