Lightning 1 Blind 0

dogghr

Posted on my state FB page.

b47fb1d84d33d0293bb5332e2dd7b0fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s why I get down out of my stands when lightning is in the area...sitting on top of a
Lightning rod doesn’t seem like a great idea in those times.

I quit hunting years ago even in high winds from a treestand after one of my stands lay on the ground from a fallen healthy 16dbh oak tree.

That's as bad as the aerial right-of-way saw from a helicopter and the deer hunter: Deer Hunter Leaps From Tree To Escape Helicopter Tree Trimmer (fieldandstream.com)

I watched one of these trim lines near my farm and worries of same thing happening to a hunter some day.
On side note only trespassers I’ve ever had on my property were AEP workers well away from their ROW. Had a strong conversation with their district super. Didn’t happen again. Pics are hard to argue with.

Posted on my state FB page.

b47fb1d84d33d0293bb5332e2dd7b0fb.jpg

I've often wondered with the Redneck blinds, if the steel rods used to anchor the legs and the steel screw lag with steel cable attached from bottom of base to ground would act as a conduit for lightning. Don't think I wanna find out.

No, you don’t want to find out. Unfortunately if you’re caught in a storm there is no way to minimize even slightly the risk of lightning hitting you. Lightning is a large scale phenomenon miles and miles long and not influenced by objects on the ground. Especially small objects like a blind. A lightning bolts connection to the ground is predetermined long before it knows what’s on the ground. If there’s a tall tree in an open field it might hit it or it might hit 100 ft away. It’s completely unpredictable, as is it’s path. I’ve seen lightning act in so many strange ways many times working in the electrical field. The only way to avoid it is not be there. I will also say that even if the metal around you did provide some kind of path, you would still be hit so to speak with side splash. That’s how most people get hurt anyways. Direct hits are much more rare.

Reactions: Tap
Back