Leaf blower for prescribed fire line

weekender21

Looking for backpack blower suggestions. Primary use will be clearing fire lines. I’m a fan of Stihl power tools and will likely go that route.

Is a 63 cc model like the BR350 powerful enough for this task? The higher end models like the BR800 (80cc) are almost twice as much. When it comes to fire safety I’d definitely spend the money if it’s really worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on how fast you want to clear the line. The stronger the unit, the higher the cfm coming out of the pipe, the faster you can clear the fire break of debris. I would get one that you can use at home also, after you are done mowing. I’m partial to the Redmax brand. The next choice is backpack or handheld. I’ve had both and prefer a backpack blower for ease of use. You can use both hands if needed, without having to bend over and pick the unit back up.

It depends on how fast you want to clear the line. The stronger the unit, the higher the cfm coming out of the pipe, the faster you can clear the fire break of debris. I would get one that you can use at home also, after you are done mowing. I’m partial to the Redmax brand. The next choice is backpack or handheld. I’ve had both and prefer a backpack blower for ease of use. You can use both hands if needed, without having to bend over and pick the unit back up.

I have a pretty good lithium blower for home use. It might work on the fire line but I’d need quite a few extra batteries.

I think I’ll get the 80cc model, skimping on fire line safety equipment sounds silly when you say it out loud.

The deed is done.

3d0356e14910b73cf072774347c11d9b.jpg

Picked up a sprayer too. I’m planning to use the sprayer to wet my fire line and have on hand in case of emergency in addition to food plot duty.

705b5501e409d3101d30e80818202488.jpg

Last edited:
I have the 800 that has the side recoil, that’s a huge benefit. In our area we can’t burn but it does a hell of a job getting snow off the cars!

Can’t go wrong with that but I think you are overestimating the danger of fire under controlled conditions.

Maybe. Risk management has been a huge part of my career over the past 24 years.

Our property is in the mountains and the thought of fire jumping the line and turning into a head fire climbing the next ridge does give me sweaty palms.

Back