Land values are going up

Bullwinkle

Did some networking yesterday on a couple of parcels I heard may be coming up for sale. Heard Tigerton moved their - without timber - land values to $4000-4500/acre

On the msl you're seeing more and more above $5000/acre

Amazing what great deer land is doing lately

I believe the areas without deer are causing a migration to counties with deer. Regen doesn't impact deer hunting land values from what I can tell. Just the opposite. Not saying right or wrong just stating a fact

Did some networking yesterday on a couple of parcels I heard may be coming up for sale. Heard Tigerton moved their - without timber - land values to $4000-4500/acre

On the msl you're seeing more and more above $5000/acre

Amazing what great deer land is doing lately

I believe the areas without deer are causing a migration to counties with deer. Regen doesn't impact deer hunting land values from what I can tell. Just the opposite. Not saying right or wrong just stating a fact
I don't know how old you are, but I have relatives,That back in the 80's walked away from buying ground at $300.00 an acre as too much. There was a period when $1500 an acre caused many go bust because they could not cash flow the ground ,and banks were saying buy,buy ,buy ,we can feed the world. Prices collapsed in the late 80's.Corn prices cratered, hogs were given away. Ag was hurting. People had outside jobs to support their farming addiction. I bought ground in the late 80's and the only regret I have is that I did not buy more. Remember, in the 50's people raised a family on 160 acres.

I've noticed here over the last year or so prices have stabilized in my area. I was seeing farm ground go for 12,000 an acre and scrub brush go for 5000 an acre. I just sold some ground for 3000 an acre and when appraisal was done it came out to 2200 an acre. So who knows what the true price of land is around here. My ground was a 113 acres, 24 acres tillable and the rest in woods.

You can still get some decent land in NE Ohio for $2K/acre. If ours ever got above $5K/acre, I'd have a for sale sign up immediately LOL

I count my blessing I started buying land at 25. These prices are becoming crazy. In this county we have some great Ag land but most is below average. This inflation is all about deer. The biggest land owner in the county is a lumber company. They seem to support a good population in deer and not worry a bit about regen. Typically they will only sell land if they can keep the timber rights.

I think the price used to be all about deer but in my area it turned out to be all about farmers needing to get money back into something because of a couple record harvest.2 pieces sold to different buyers for between 3-4K and this was bare farmground,Most deer ground 2K and I bought a combination of both last year for 1125.00 and acres.Not the best farm ground but still a good price since it tied onto my farm.5K-12K an acre,thats alot of $$

Awesome news Bull. Here in upstate NY, you can still find great deer property for just over 1k per acre. That this is available 3 hours north of Gotham blows my mind. I hope it stays in this range so I can snag the adjacent parcels to my place. Some day it will pay off even with our stupid expensive taxes.

You can still get some decent land in NE Ohio for $2K/acre. If ours ever got above $5K/acre, I'd have a for sale sign up immediately LOL
I don't think I'd be interested in selling at anything less than crazy stupid money.For me ,it's never been about capital appreciation. I'm sad that so many are priced out of the market and so many kids will never know the joy of their youth spent tramping around in the woods.

Hunting is quickly becoming a rich mans sport in WI. With the lack of deer in the north on public lands and limited free access on private the demographics of a WI hunter is surely changing.

I have had a lot of fun buying land over the years but with these prices those days are over for me. May flip a few if I can upgrade but no more land payments.

Here is what happened in my area. 2 big farmers went on a rampage to buy up every acre they could get their hands on. The way this would work was they would go to auctions and bid up $1200 an acre farm ground to 6-10K an acre. Over time this became the norm became 8-12K an acre. Now here is the reason behind their madness. You see these were big farmers in the area that already owned 10,000 plus acres at the time. So they would buy up this farm ground at absurd prices all the while their other 10,000 acres plus just went from 1200 an acre ground to 12,000 an acre ground. Don't think that the farmers do not influence the price of ground, they are the sole contributors in price per acre in my area. Also remember that most of these old money farmers families had bought the original ground at prices from 150 and acre to 1200 an acre before the land boom. Someone got very rich.

I don't think I'd be interested in selling at anything less than crazy stupid money.For me ,it's never been about capital appreciation. I'm sad that so many are priced out of the market and so many kids will never know the joy of their youth spent tramping around in the woods.

I don't disagree with any of that. I scraped and saved for my first 25 acres and sold it for a profit to buy my 40 acres. This has always been about me and my family and friends always having a wild place to retreat to. My goal was to have 100 acres or more someday but with two college tuition savings and probably two weddings to pay for, that will probably never happen while I am young enough to do serious habitat work. But I am very content and thankful for the 40 acres I do have.

Here is what happened in my area. 2 big farmers went on a rampage to buy up every acre they could get their hands on. The way this would work was they would go to auctions and bid up $1200 an acre farm ground to 6-10K an acre. Over time this became the norm became 8-12K an acre. Now here is the reason behind their madness. You see these were big farmers in the area that already owned 10,000 plus acres at the time. So they would buy up this farm ground at absurd prices all the while their other 10,000 acres plus just went from 1200 an acre ground to 12,000 an acre ground. Don't think that the farmers do not influence the price of ground, they are the sole contributors in price per acre in my area. Also remember that most of these old money farmers families had bought the original ground at prices from 150 and acre to 1200 an acre before the land boom. Someone got very rich.
The really big guys get access to gov't programs that really don't help the little guy. And spread the max out's among family members for multiple bites on the apple.Buying more ground with money that would be taxable profit is pretty much free land no matter how much it costs. Displaced farms sold near Chicago move to a new area with pockets full of $$$$ also can drive up land. It is a very complex and fluid Keynesian driven animal.

Last edited:
Sad if a few big guys can drive up the market for a personal gain

Tigerton lumber company can do this to a degree. They are not buying land but their pricing has an impact since there is limited great deer hunting land land that hits the market. They are by far the largest land owner. I think they have around 8000 acres in Trophy managed lands in shawano and Waupaca county. $45/acre lease. 8 ptr must be 140" and 10 ptr 150" or it's a $25/inch fine

They didn't become multi-millionaires or borderline billionaires in one instance by being stupid. It just makes all of us poor boys pay the price in the long run of things.

They didn't become multi-millionaires or borderline billionaires in one instance by being stupid. It just makes all of us poor boys pay the price in the long run of things.
Inherit or marry into it. The last best chance to start from scratch was in 1990 ,with two strong non farm incomes and a lot of good luck.

Well doe shooter I may be **** out of luck lol. I'm definitely not inheriting and would have to divorce to marry into it. I am afraid I am stuck leasing ground the rest of my life and hoping I can find enough guys to hunt on my ground to pay for it.

Well doe shooter I may be **** out of luck lol. I'm definitely not inheriting and would have to divorce to marry into it. I am afraid I am stuck leasing ground the rest of my life and hoping I can find enough guys to hunt on my ground to pay for it.
Exactly my point.The Genie is out of the bottle. A way of life that I enjoyed growing up has died. A time when grit and hard work, more so than money, could provide a honest and productive life for a family.

It would be interesting to study how the changing land ownership demographics is affecting deer hunting and deer population

Grandma dies and the kids sell her 40. A well to do guy from city (at least is our area) buys the 40 for $200K

My guess is he's not brown and down local type hunter but more into QDM? That's just a guess from the guys I know who moved in. Locals very rarely can afford land in Waupaca county now.

I would also guess they are not interested in timber cutting (but that is a nice check once in a while) or shooting every doe they see

10 years from now I predict less local family land and more outsiders to contend with keeping QDM and deer populations in check.

Should be interesting to watch for sure. The CDAC is happy with Waupaca doe harvest last year and we only took a few more does. Seems like that went away quickly - personal agendas is my guess

Back