Ladino clover

catscratch

What's everyone's experience with Ladino clover? I have some I'm planting this fall and am curious what you guys think of it.

It's my money maker for perennial. Feeds nearly year round here . Tends to dormant in hot , dry Aug but comes on strong by hunt season and deer paw thru snow to get to it as much as brassica. Have alone, with alfalfa, and with chicory. Have some in overseeded hay field. I overseed in fall with WR to help suck up extra N and weedcontrol. Mow when weeds tell me to, sometimes spray cleth, and not much else.

Same here it's my go to white clover, I usually use it in a mix with Kopu II and Alice. Most of my clover plots are this mix.

Been a work horse on our place since planting 2 falls ago. We've had good rain both the past two summers and it never went dormant. Deer feed in it every day. Planted Regal Graze variety. Also planted durana in a mix last fall and food plots have a lot of it in them now.

Ladino is my go to perennial clover. Actually it is the only perennial clover I plant. In recent years I have started adding a medium red clover with my ladino plantings and the two work together great to provide high quality nutrition almost 12 months a year. When the ladino goes dormant during hot dry summers is when the red provides important forage. Late winter is about the only time when the clover plots aren't producing.

If you want a good read then check out LC's blog on growing clover:

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=475&start=0

I like reading LC's stuff, it never gets old.
It looks like I'm getting what I hoped for. Ladino and Med. Red going in this fall and it sounds like a good combo.
Thanks.

I ordered the large ladino and chickory today from Welters seed company in Iowa. They are currently out of stock but they said it will be in early next week and they will then ship it.

I ordered the large ladino and chickory today from Welters seed company in Iowa. They are currently out of stock but they said it will be in early next week and they will then ship it.

I planted the jumbo ladino 3 years ago. Came up great and early spring was looking awesome then a severe mid spring and summer drought sent it to its grave. Last year I just planted a VNS Ladino. So far it's doing well.

I assume you're talking about VNS ladino?
Not sure to be honest with you. The local co-op carries it by the scoop. Labeled Ladino and he said it's the variety that they've had the best growth with in this region.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ladino is my go to perennial clover. Actually it is the only perennial clover I plant. In recent years I have started adding a medium red clover with my ladino plantings and the two work together great to provide high quality nutrition almost 12 months a year. When the ladino goes dormant during hot dry summers is when the red provides important forage. Late winter is about the only time when the clover plots aren't producing.

If you want a good read then check out LC's blog on growing clover:

http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=475&start=0
Is the medium red the same as red forage clover ? I bought 5 lbs of RFC this year to try out with my ladino. Folks at the seed store recommended it but I know nothing about it.

Couldn't tell ya. I've found that our seed store is great about knowing what grows well in my location, but when I buy by the scoop it is just labeled a generic name; "red clover", "ladino clover", etc. When I buy by the bag I get a label that tells exactly what it is. I'm not usually concerned with specifics though as what they sell me has been tested locally and proven so I don't usually ask for specifics.

I continue to plant a mix of jumbo ladino, alsyke and kopu II (all from welters). Add some chicory most of the time for variety. I continue to be a fan of mixes in our newer plots while we try to build soil.

Is the medium red the same as red forage clover ? I bought 5 lbs of RFC this year to try out with my ladino. Folks at the seed store recommended it but I know nothing about it.

I don't know but I'm sure the forage red will do just fine.

Back