Ladder stand placement.

Jack Terpack

As some of you might know, I live in South Carolina but do most of my deer hunting in PA. We have family property there and I travel several times a year to family functions. One of those functions is bowhunting the last two weeks of the season. A vast majority of our hunting there is from ladder stands. I just received 4 new Hawk 21' Destination stands. My question involves placing two of these in a pinch point area that is on a very steep slope.

This slope runs SE to NW and the prevailing wind is normally out of the SW. I have found several very heavily used trails through the area but what excites me, is two faint trails that seem to be favored by the older bucks coming through. The vegetation is extremely thick and getting a ladder stand into it is going to be difficult. I am torn between putting the stands above the trails or below them. If above, any shot is going to be very steeply downhill. If I place them below the trails, at least one of the trails is going to be at eye level. What do the experts recommend? I figure the average shot would be about 25 yards. There are no really decent trees to put a hang-on or a climber onto.

Your stand is already 21 ft tall. An uphill location is going to give you an extreme angle shot. Those extreme angle shots are very difficult. I won't take such a shot. Unless you have practiced at that type of angle I would look for another option.
I'd rather take the chance of being seen over wounding an animal.

This may sound odd, but if the slope is that steep - why do you need a stand? I have killed several deer on steep banks by simply sitting on the ground or a stump above the trail with some brush as back cover. Being eye-to-eye is bad.....but the better of the two alternatives you listed. Steep shooting angles - especially with a bow are even worse in my opinion. Steep angles reduce your target size and reduce your margin for error. You may have to find other ways or locations to hunt those faint trails you speak of. Every "ideal" spot, doesn't offer "ideal" hunting. I would consider following those faint trails in different directions if you can to try to find a more advantageous spot for you. This pinch point you have found is great, but if you can't effectively hunt it without spooking or wounding the deer in the process you have to look for other options. Is there any chance of blocking the trail you would be eye-to-eye with the deer on to force them below you? Where there is a will there is a way - sometimes you just have to get creative.

Unless you are trying to cover two trails, one high, and one low, then I would always place a stand above the trail. You maybe could use only one ladder section and have stand lower on tree than usual yet still well above trail watching. But then you said asking experts, and that voids my opinion. Good luck.

The location is a very steep area right along our boundary. I know for a fact that the fella that owns the property next to us hunts a great deal but he shies away from this particular area because it is so steep and very thick with multiflora rose. The wind is my primary concern. If I put the stand on the uphill side, I will have the wind at my back but I should be high enough that it would easily carry over the target area. If I put it on the low side, I can still cover both trails and be downwind most of the time. I would however be right at about eye level with the upper trail. It is a very narrow shelf and the deer only use it in the evenings. My trail cameras show no activity in morning hours. Hunting at ground level would mean I would have to clear shooting lanes or I would never see deer approaching. Luckily I do have an area here at home that would allow me to practice at a very steep angle. I used to shoot a lot of 3D tournaments so I have a bit of experience shooting at odd angles. I think I am going to take the high road. In either case, I can cover both trails at the same time and also cover the other heavily used trails that most of the doe groups frequent.

My property is full of very steep ridges. They can be challenging to hunt. The one thing that is most consistent is in the evenings and at times in the mornings the air current flows down to the bottoms of the ravines. No matter where I'm set up this is almost always the case. For this reason alone I always try to set up as far down hill (down wind) as I can.
The smart deer cross where two or more ravines meet. There they can scent check the surroundings ridges from the cover of the ravine.
Good luck with your set up. Let us know how it works out.

Its a tough call. Ive had deer at eye level when on stand and managed to stay undetected. Other times.....busted. dont beat youself up over it and give it your best educated guess. Thats how we learn after all. I struggle with these decisions sometimes myself..... and usually end up going high.

My property is full of very steep ridges. They can be challenging to hunt. The one thing that is most consistent is in the evenings and at times in the mornings the air current flows down to the bottoms of the ravines. No matter where I'm set up this is almost always the case. For this reason alone I always try to set up as far down hill (down wind) as I can.
The smart deer cross where two or more ravines meet. There they can scent check the surroundings ridges from the cover of the ravine.
Good luck with your set up. Let us know how it works out.

This is always the issue I have had with steep set ups, the wind. My buddies property that I hunt is almost all steep side hill. I would be surprised if you could count on the wind going over the deer, especially the one you want. I think you have to set up on the downwind side. Eye level stands are an issue, but doable if you have good cover and are careful.

My worst bow shots at deer have been with steep angles, and the ladder stand above the trail will be a killer angle. You say no good trees for climber or loc on, but with the hill that steep the climber does not have to be very high.

My worst bow shots at deer have been with steep angles, and the ladder stand above the trail will be a killer angle. You say no good trees for climber or loc on, but with the hill that steep the climber does not have to be very high.
I feel that i am going to have to get fairly high just to be able to see down into the brush. The hillside was apparently clear cut many years ago. The entire slope faces NE and gets very little direct sunlight so the only thing growing well on it is multiflora rose. The stuff is very high and thick. At ground level, I probably couldn't get a 10 yard shot. The biggest tree that I am aware of is maybe 6 inches in diameter but very tall. I am not sure I am even going to be able set up a ladderstand on it very well. Due to shoulder issues, I hunt with a crossbow so shooting at a steep angle is a lot easier than with a vertical bow. I appreciate all the input. Gives me a lot to think about until spring when I get back up there. Then I will have to scout it out a lot better. The whole area of the thicket is about 4 or 5 acres.

Back